60 evinrude underway but no plane.

Tcla5988

Cadet
Okay got it in the river yesterday. All seems well, idle, idle forward, idle reverse. Up until I give it fuel. I slowly accelerate an the boat does too, but it will not get on a plane, seems like it wants to but something is keeping it.. I'm going to do a compression test when I get home to see if it need overhauled but it runs great in every other aspect... Too much fuel? Only two cylinders firing? Aye thanks guys lmk if I'm in the ballpark

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60 evinrude underway but no plane.

Basic health check to begin.
Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition.

Post what you find and go from there. Initial thoughts are 1 cylinder not firing correctly but that is just a shot in the dark guess at this time.

eavega

Lieutenant

+1 on basic checks. Also, do you have a tach on that motor? Knowing that you were (or were not) at recommended RPM for WOT would also help diagnose whether there was a problem with your setup.

Agree with kennyfam, shot in the dark guess is that you have one cylinder not firing, now whether the cause of that is no fuel, no compression, or no spark is the key to getting it fixed.

Rgds

Tcla5988

Cadet

Thanks guys. I have a tach and it idles around 1500+-. Ill I've it a comp test when I get home thanks..

Tcla5988

Cadet

I also changes out the throttle cable a few months ago. Seems te carbs open up to full throttle but the motor just won't plane... Rpms show it as they are in the 2.5-3k range with throttle maxed

eavega

Lieutenant

Thanks guys. I have a tach and it idles around 1500+-. Ill I've it a comp test when I get home thanks..

I believe that is WAY too high for that motor to idle. It should be closer to 700-900 RPMs in gear. Maybe 1000 on muffs with no backpressure from the exhaust. Check your specs.

I also changes out the throttle cable a few months ago. Seems te carbs open up to full throttle but the motor just won't plane... Rpms show it as they are in the 2.5-3k range with throttle maxed

WOT RPM range ( Which you are testing in the water under load, right?) should be 5500 RPM if memory serves. You are not getting full capabilities on that motor. Either you are not running a cylinder (at 3K RPM that would be my initial uninformed guess) or the motor is way over-propped and lugging.

Verify compression, spark. Also,verify that you are running all cylinders with a cylinder drop test (With engine running, pull one plug. If there is no change, then that cylinder is not running. If the motor starts to run erratically or cuts out, then that cylinder is running. Try the same with the next plug. )

If all your cylinders are running, then you have to look at the motor being over-propped, your boat is not matched with your motor, or you might possibly have saturated foam which is causing your boat to be inordinately heavy.

Good luck.