which engine? need quick answer if possible. thanks :-)

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey i boats. Ive been off for a while but im back now. In full force. I have a question in which engine i should go with. I have a force outboard 85hp currently on my boat. It runs at a idle and stalls out once i take off. It wasnt winterized the last two winters but was stored with no water in it. I belive the last time i started it and used it was summer 2012. I rebuilt the carbs and everything. Adjusted them new fuel diaphram new carb gaskets and a bunch of other things. Still stalls out nearly everytime i take off. Or ill stop go to motor back up and it wont start. I need something reliable. I was offered $500 for the engine at the end of last summer and foolishly didnt take it.
I have found a 1985 suzuki 85hp the guy says its got about 40hours on a fresh rebuild. Includes controls and is asking $500 for it. Im wondering which engine will be more reliable. I avraged about 40mph with the force and i think the suzuki might be a little faster on my boat which is a 17.5ft maxum bowrider. Im wondering which would be more reliable. Could i use my forces power trim pump in the suzuki or would it be worthless? And how much work would a change over be? Someone please let me know as if its worth it ill pick up that suzuki this weekens. Thanks guys and happy boating

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: which engine? need quick answer if possible. thanks :)

I doubt that anything from the Force will swap over to the Suzy. So, you will need to change controls. You ask about power trim pump leading me to believe that the Zuki trim is either non-existent or non-functional. In either case it is a lot of money to get a functioning power trim.

You are probably looking at a couple of hours work to remove the Force and another couple of hours work to mount the Suzy. Figure a whole Saturday.

My vote would be to remain with the engine you have and get it running correctly. Unless, emotionally you are so disgusted that you want to get rid of the Force at any cost.

However, remember that you would be buying an unknown engine and they ALL run good -- in the ad.

64osby

Admiral
Re: which engine? need quick answer if possible. thanks :)

I agree, keep your motor, fix it. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue and possible a low spark issue. If your motor has good compression I would keep it. Fix it up and it will do everything the other one will do and you will have tilt and trim.