At my wits end.

I have been trying to match a prop to my boat for a while now. 18 foot BassCat with a Mariner 150 Mag II on it. I have tried a 21 pitch three blade and it made the motor over rev before getting on plane. A 23 pitch three blade that got on plane but would over rev and could only get half throttle out of it. I then tried a 24 four blade ballistic prop in 24 pitch at the suggestion of a local repair place. It was really sluggish on getting on plane but once on plane the boat was really fast but had vibration that I thought was excessive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am next trying a 24 pitch 3 blade and going to try to find a 23 pitch 4 blade. The boat has a six inch jack plate on it also. Thank you in advance.

Re: At my wits end.

There are others that can probably tell you more and be more exact.

I am trying to find a good combination also. but it sounds like the 4 blade may be close, send it to a prop shop have it balanced and re pitched down 2 degrees that will help re gain some go.

Possibly the hub is coming apart causing the vibration on the four blade, they are supposed to be smoother.

If you have a tach tell the people here what the rpm is and if you are getting to the rated high point, If above it to low a pitch, if to low to high a pitch.

The rpm was around 5600 but if I gave it full throttle even with the big 4 blade it would go over 6k rpm. I held back on it to keep it from reving to high. Makes me really wish I wasn't such a newbie lol

jestor68

Commander

Tell us about your set up. What is your pad to prop shaft measurement(setting)? I usually start with 3.5" and adjust in 1/2" increments.

I would normally run a 23" Tempest Plus on that boat to start with, and go from there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the ballistic is not vented, try venting it to improve the hole shot. Done properly, venting will selectively aerate the blades with exhaust at low RPM allowing the engine to rev-up. The vents will effectively be sealed at high speed allowing the prop to keep engione RPM within specs. very commonly don. search the forum for venting threads.

I have not measured the pad to prop shaft distance yet, but I do know it is about middle ways of my water intake ports on the motor. The Ballistic was not vented and the guy called it a super cupped model or something like that. I have a Quicksilver Laser II in 24 pitch that I am trying now in three blade. Thank you all for all the replies.