1986 Mercury 850, trim motor not working correctly. Please help

robertsmb

Recruit
I purchased a 1986 Magnum with a Mercury 850 85hp outboard motor about 2 months ago. When I purchased the boat, all features and implements worked correctly. I have not had it in the water yet.

I took it to the boat dock and I could not get the motor trim to trim down. It would trim up enough to remove the transom saver but it would not trim down. No power, no clicking or anything. I thought maybe my trim toggle switch had been broken or a wire was grounded out. At any rate, I attempted to fix it. The trim motor only got worse from there. It sounded like a solinoid would click but no actual movement out of the motor.

I bought a refurbished motor off of Ebay from a reputable dealer, and it fixed the clicking noise, but Im back to the original problem. The motor will trim up but not trim down. I will include 3 pictures to give you an idea of what I am looking at, and to see if maybe some wires arent right.

Any help or advice would be great. Im sure I could do the repairs myself if I could be pointed in the right direction. I do not have any money to put the boat in the shop in my local area. I spent it all on the boat. =(

Thanks,
Mike

IMG_0839.jpg

img0838qk.jpg

img0837yw.jpg

robertsmb

Recruit
Re: 1986 Mercury 850, trim motor not working correctly. Please help

Bump. Could really use some help.

PaJon

Seaman

Take apart and clean every connection.

Bondo

Staff member

Take apart and clean every connection.

Ayuh,... Agreed,... Sounds like corroded wirin' ends,...

Clean 'em All to shiny metal clean, 'n reinstall... then grease 'em to keep 'em that way...

robertsmb

Recruit

Ayuh,... Agreed,... Sounds like corroded wirin' ends,...

Clean 'em All to shiny metal clean, 'n reinstall... then grease 'em to keep 'em that way...

Thanks for the reply's gentlemen. Ill get some contact cleaner and get busy today. Hopefully this will help.