1988 omc 3.0

Riley79

Cadet
Hello everybody just joined the site a few days ago, lots of good info that has been helpfull so far. I bought this boat late last summer its my first boat and it appears to need some work your common shift issues for starters was jumping out of gear last season so I pulled boat out of water and just recently started working on it I just ordered an omc factory manual off ebay (pricey). I am sure I will have some questions as I get more involved so just want to start a thread and introduce myself.

Riley

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 omc 3.0

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Hopefully yer shiftin' Issue is the cable, 'n not worn clutch-dogs...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

3 good clunks under load and the dogs are generally rounded to the point where they will never stay engaged.

welcome!

Riley79

Cadet

Thanks for link bruce I have come across that before in my searches good info. I have my shift cable unhooked and it can be moved pretty smooth both ways by hand so it may have been out of adjustment. I don't have the clutch dog or gears out yet but hope to soon. I have had over 3 good clunks also:facepalm:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The shift problems,could be the bellcrank?
It corrodes around the end and it siezes.
You have it apart,make sure the bushing is clean and greased to reassemble.
You need special tools to set the linkage.
The clutch dog is easy to get to.
Get the right manual.
Filling the gear oil(very important) Needs to be done from the side of the unit.

Riley79

Cadet

Update ordered factory manual removed my clutch dog and gears I do have some rounding on edges so ordered new gear set along with shift cable and other needed parts. My issue now the clutch dog I received is only a 3 jaw my old one is a 6 jaw the gears all apear the same as with the clutch dog but new one only has 3 lugs per side and old one had 6......the kit I ordered was a GLM22630 and replaces OEM 986979 any ideas

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No problem,just the newer/updated dog.
You have the tools to reset the shifter?

Riley79

Cadet

OK Thanks for the response Jerry I have a local omc tec that will lend me the proper adjusting tools I may even have him come over when I get to that point....
Thanks Geoff

Riley79

Cadet

Ok so got boat running seems to be shifting better in garage never made it to water yet because boat is not getting water to impeller..thought maybe I had a bad impeller so replaced it along with housing and gaskets still not pumping I had some issue last season with this boat slow to start pumping but if engine rpm raise it would start pumping so I thought week impeller but after new impeller still not pumping going to pull drive back off and have a look to my knowledge water tube is in place but will have to check testing with muffs water is coming out of little hole on side of drive any ideas? I melted old impeller so I know there is not water getting there

Thanks Geoff