Is this gimbal bearing okay to use?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was spinning it by hand and notices what may be a defect. This is a shot of opposite sides of the bearing (rotated 180 degrees) shown side by side. The bearing is facing the same way.:

IMG_20130315_005338.jpg

Please ignore the color difference. I have no idea why the camera decided to change tint between shots.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Is this gimbal bearing okay to use?

You mean the bearing not level with the outer housing ??? It does that . . .

When you install the bearing and insert your alignment tool, you will actually use the tool to pivot the bearing within the carrier a few degrees to get it pointed in the correct direction to meet the coupler. From there, it is a matter of aligning the engine so the drive shaft goes in smoothly without binding, etc.

Bondo

Staff member

You mean the bearing not level with the outer housing ??? It does that . . .

When you install the bearing and insert your alignment tool, you will actually use the tool to pivot the bearing within the carrier a few degrees to get it pointed in the correct direction to meet the coupler. From there, it is a matter of aligning the engine so the drive shaft goes in smoothly without binding, etc.

Ayuh,.... Hence the name, Gimbel Bearin'.... It's gimbelled... Like yer eye in it's socket...

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The metal shield were link belt is stamped is deformed a little. This shouldnt be a problem. the actual seal is under the cover(i think).

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

The metal shield were link belt is stamped is deformed a little. This shouldnt be a problem. the actual seal is under the cover(i think).

Yes, that.

Thanks!

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gimbal bearing is installed. I notice that there is a little bit of play in it though. Is this normal? I don't mean the part that's supposed to gimbal, I mean the bearing itself.