Johnson VRO to fuel only (change pump)

'93 Johnson, 115 hp V4
Previous owner removed the oil tank, unpluged the electrical for the oiler and has been premixing the fuel. I've just rebuilt both carbs and was still having trouble with the motor under the cups. It was acting like it had too much air mixing with the fuel so I was going back over the hose fitings. I noticed the fuel inlet hose into the pump was not up all the way, moved the clamp down and while trying to move the hose up tighter, part of the pump broke and exposed a couple of ports surrounded by sealed with O rings. Marine parts house informs me that I need a new pump as it's not repairable.

I'm looking into replacing the VRO pump with a regular pump. I've no idea what part number to purchase. The Dealers parts man told me I would need a diaphram as well. I've read many of the older threads concerning this issue, but most involved Loopers.

Questions

1- What model number fuel pump will work?

2- I've got the fuel line from primer bulb feeding in, plus two other lines that were connected to the pump. Do the other two lines feed each of the two carbs? Note* the oiler line was already disconnected.

3- Will I need to purchase a diaphram?

I could use some step by step guidance on this and do appreciate any help.

Re: Johnson VRO to fuel only (change pump)

Anyone done this? I just need a lil help with the model number of pump that will work for me.

Yes, I've read all that I can find. I went out this morning and purchased fuel pump part number, 0438559. (3) connections.

I messed up in the original connection of it and connected the pulse hose to the output of the pump and the pulse connection at the pump to the carbs. Tried starting and just an occasional fire. I then looked up a breakdown of the pump and realized the error I had made. I switched the connections to the proper fittings, yet still cannot get her to fire right. Now I'm wondering if I've got a firing issue which I didn't have before I mis-connected the lines to the new pump.

I've pulled each plug, blown them off with compressed air and even blew some air into the cylinders to thin out any build up I might have created. My coils are good and now I can't even get her to start. Am about to go nuts trying to get this thing going.

My original problem was lack of power when under a load and having to start the thing in fast idle just to get her going. With both carbs rebuilt, new water separator filter, new plugs, changed one bad coil out, and still dogged out at WOT.

I'd sure like to be able to put this one to bed....:mad::mad:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How's the timing and the flywheel key ??

I got the motor to start, took her out for a test run. Sluggish start, then she picked up and started acting right. After a few adjustments, she should be fine. Thanks!