Fuel quality

Capstone21

Recruit
Recently purchased 2007 Key West 186CC boat has about 55 hrs. On 115 yam. 4stroke. Did sea trial, runs strong. Not sure if fuel was treated. Boat was sitting about 8 months. We did sea trial last month. Just want to be sure before I get to use it in spring. Remaining fuel is about 25 gal. Boat does have a 10 micron yam. Filter factory installed. Should I drain the remaining fuel?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel quality

Recently purchased 2007 Key West 186CC boat has about 55 hrs. On 115 yam. 4stroke. Did sea trial, runs strong. Not sure if fuel was treated. Boat was sitting about 8 months. We did sea trial last month. Just want to be sure before I get to use it in spring. Remaining fuel is about 25 gal. Boat does have a 10 micron yam. Filter factory installed. Should I drain the remaining fuel?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Draw a sample, 'n Smell it,...

If it Smells like gasoline,... Run it, 'n burn it up...

The filter will catch any water or other debris...

wrench 3

Commander

If your worried about the down time between now and the spring, add a fresh dose of fuel stabilizer. A double dose won't do any harm.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man, what I wouldn't give for the "old internet", when you could actually find actual, scientific answers to these kinds of subjects....

Since I can't find a scientist's opinion, I'll just throw out mine.

The gas in our SkipperLiner was 4 years old when we checked it out. Hadn't been started in over a year. Both engines and generator fired right up as soon as gas got to the carbs. We're starting out 8th season with her, and I've never ran more than 1/2 the 125 gallons out of the toy tank before winter. That tank runs the genny, and I refill the engine's tank with it. The engines start and run just fine, I've never added stabilizer, and whatever gas is in the tanks just gets new gas added to it every February. And our Party Cruiser, the same gas has been in the generator fuel tank since 2005, but the ol' Onan still runs just fine, and handles the AC and anything else I throw at it.

I read years ago that the best thing to do with old gas is just add new gas and use it up. Maybe I'm the exception, but it works for me.

wrench 3

Commander

The gas in our SkipperLiner was 4 years old when we checked it out. Hadn't been started in over a year. Both engines and generator fired right up as soon as gas got to the carbs. We're starting out 8th season with her, and I've never ran more than 1/2 the 125 gallons out of the toy tank before winter. That tank runs the genny, and I refill the engine's tank with it. The engines start and run just fine, I've never added stabilizer, and whatever gas is in the tanks just gets new gas added to it every February. And our Party Cruiser, the same gas has been in the generator fuel tank since 2005, but the ol' Onan still runs just fine, and handles the AC and anything else I throw at it.

I read years ago that the best thing to do with old gas is just add new gas and use it up. Maybe I'm the exception, but it works for me.

Years ago you only had to worry about the gas evaporating and leaving varnish behind. Now you have to worry about the ethanol separating from the gasoline. The ethanol will settle to the bottom and really makes a mess of any neoprene in the fuel system.
Adding fuel will tend to stir the tank and mix the ethanol back in. I add at least five gallons each spring, but I still add fuel stabilizer. But then our off season is more like seven months.

UncleWillie

Captain

Man, what I wouldn't give for the "old Internet", when you could actually find actual, scientific answers to these kinds of subjects.... Since I can't find a scientist's opinion, I'll just throw out mine.

+1 ^^^

OP, Unless you have a specific reason to think there is something wrong with the fuel, Assume it is fine!

I have been trying garage experiments with fuel for about a year and a half.
When I feel confident in my conclusions, and can PROVE them, I'll post some videos.

In the mean time, here is a test that seem to be valid so far.
Find yourself two clear jars. Mason jars and pickle jars are great.
Fill one jar half full of your reference sample of gas fresh from the pump.
Fill the other jar half full of a sample from the bottom of your fuel tank.
Secure both jar lids and shake both jars vigorously.

Note that the fresh gas will form a "Head" of bubbles for 2-3 second before they are COMPLETELY gone.
If your sample fuel is within a second of being the same, it is fine.
If the sample's "Head" Hangs in there for over ten seconds. It is Not so Fresh.
Dilute it 2:1 with fresh gas and test again. The decision to use is yours.

If the gas is an OB Oil mix. Prepare you reference sample with Oil to match.
Gas plus Oil holds the "Head" a few seconds longer.

I left a small tank of gas in the shed for 6 months with the lid off.
Half of it evaporated and is now my "BAD GAS" reference.
It will still operate a 10 hp lawn tractor.
My reference "BAD GAS" Sample holds a head for over 30 seconds.