Formerly a merc guy, first Volvo Penta 501

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
20130314_073203.jpg20130314_073215.jpgOk. so I traded up bow rider with a mercruiser for a 22' Larson Hampton with a Volvo Penta duo prop. On the top of the engine it says "501". I know its a 305 GM. I also know that it needs nothing except a shift cable that is a little difficult but still works. I do not know anything about volvo penta. Can anyone tell me about what I have? kind of drive, good or bad?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Formerly a merc guy, first Volvo Penta 501

It would seem to be a 501A(I'm assuming), because the 501B didnt start production till 1991 according to that publication search. The boat is a 1990.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you know the realiablility of these drives? Hard to get parts? I know that I could get an aftermarket SEI drive for my mercruiser, does anyone make something like that for this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would seem to be a 501A(I'm assuming), because the 501B didnt start production till 1991 according to that publication search. The boat is a 1990.

Well, you didn't give us a year in the original question.

Do you know the realiablility of these drives? Hard to get parts? I know that I could get an aftermarket SEI drive for my mercruiser, does anyone make something like that for this?

They are very reliable if taken care of, just like Merc.
No, there are no aftermarket replacement drives like the SEI
No, parts are not hard to get. Just scroll up to the top of this thread and click on the Volvo parts icon on the left. OEM and Aftermarket.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I start it out of water? On the merc, I hooked up muffs. With this, it doesnt look like muffs would work on the outdrive.

I ordered a service manual for it. The guy I bought it from appeared to take care of his stuff but I would rather go through it before the season begins. Thanks for the replies.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I just ordered those muffs. I will probably have lots of stupid questions. I pretty much just finished up learning what I needed to know about Mercruiser....then decided to get a volvo.:lol: I am going to go ahead and drain out the gear oil and replace it. If I don't see any milky oil, should I still pull the drive?

Don S

There is seldom need to remove the whole drive. To replace the bellows, you just pull the upper gear box.

Might want to spend some time in the stickies at the top of this forum. Especially the Volvo section.

If the bellows fails, and you get water into the bellows and it gets into the bearings in the flywheel cover, then you have to pull the engine to replace them. On my DP, I replaced the bellows every other year. They aren't that expensive, and very easy to replace. A lot easier than pulling the engine.

As an example, pulling the upper gear box and changing the bellows and gear lube is a 30 minute job. (after the first time, don't rush that one).

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again for the replies. I will go ahead and replace them then. No reason to screw around. I have the repair manual coming in, should guide me in the how to's on that.

Don S

You must have missed my last post with links to the OEM manuals.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Remember to block the hole on the very bottom of the drive when running out of the water.
Don mentioned a plug from a tube of sillycone.It really works well.
I've found if you can't get the Volvo muffs, duct tape the muffs in place.
Duct tape won't hold on a wet drive so do it before you get it wet.

Don S

Volvo-Penta U-Joint Bellows - iboats

Is this the correct bellow for my drive? And, what kind of outdrive would I have. 1990 501A duo prop. Thanks.

No, that's for an SX.
Go up and look at the first reply, I explained what it could be and how to find out for sure.
Personally, I wouldn't use an aftermarket bellows. They are thin enough as it is. No need to use cheap materials too.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Don,
There is no tag on it. Previous owner stripped all labeling off and blasted the outdrive and repainted it.:mad: Another way to tell?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found it. Its callled "bellows" kit. Part 101.