Outboard steering tight

patrickj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive got a 2000 progator 186fs (virtually brand new only had 90 hours and alot of those are from the few weeks ive had it). It has a 150 mercury xr6 and the steering is so tight sometimes i just cannot turn it. so i assumed it needed cables after i greased the fitting and greases the steering rods (dual setup). So i put new cables on this last weekend and its still so tight its like driving a car with a bad power steering pump. What else could it be? the helm maybe? when im in the water if i bump the throttle a little the steering loosens for a few seconds but when im on plane it never loosens up when im trolling i just cant turn it. any help would be appreciated

also alot of times it turns easy right but hard left, that could be that im the only person in the boat so it leans a little right

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Outboard steering tight

You say you replaced the cable(s)...was there more than one? What steering style/type is it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the cables from the motor and see if the motor swings left and right easily.

While it's disconneced, try turning the wheel. Still stiff?

patrickj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its a double cable system. i replaced both. i cant believe i didnt think to check the steering while it wasnt hooked up! i will check tonight or tomorrow and repost.