Rebuilding 1956 Johnson 15hp FDE-10 Part 2: Pulling Flywheel

chippster

Cadet
My flywheel just sits there, getting cleaner and better protected by various lubricants as I attempt to pull it off its crankshaft. I've been working on this off-and-on for five days, at this point. The good news is that I don't believe I've bent anything on the flywheel or the crankshaft. The flywheel nut smoothly spins on and off and the flywheell has not been beat with a hammer or heated.

This evening I put an impact wrench on the flywheel puller bolt and set the air pressure on my compressor to 75psi. I replaced the grade 5 bolts that came with my flywheel puller with some grade 8 bolts and washers. Next, I slowly started cranking on the center bolt while making sure that the bolt remained as perfectly upright as possible. Even used a metal ruler as a sort of gauge to measure any lean in the bolt and then remove it by adjusting the puller bolts appropriately. I used a slow thud thud thud setting on the impact wrench. Didn't budge. Also, I sprayed on the Loctite Freeze and Release product. Have to say that I don't believe that the temperature dropped more than 20 degrees or so. It was approximately 60 degrees in my garage and the metal just didn't feel all that cold after I sprayed the Loctite. Maybe the can I used was a dud? Others have reported having a good experience with this product.

Three options: crank the impact wrench up to its max of 90 psi and/or use a faster impact setting, use a big breaker bar and attempt steady pressure again, or have the flywheel removed at a shop. Any ideas or suggestions?

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rebuilding 1956 Johnson 15hp FDE-10 Part 2: Pulling Flywheel

I would get it as tight as you feel comfortable and whack the end of the puller(the part you put the socket on) real sharp with a dead blow hammer, if that doesn't work, I myself would proly turn the air up to 90 psi and use the impact in short bursts, but do so at your own risk. Hope you get it, I'm sure it will feel good when she pops off. Ryan

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure if you do the tighten and sharp blow with the hammer that the lower unit is off the ground, Try to get a friend to help by lifting upward on the flywheel. You want a nice sharp flat rap with a good stubby wide hammer, the idea is shock, not drive a spike thru bedrock.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I never use the impact myself, just a wrench on the puller bolt with an extension on it. They all pop like that. If you have someone to help it would make it easier. The helper holds the flywheel holder while you pull on the breaker bar on the bolt. When tight, as stated, lift UP on the flywheel while giving the bolt a few sharp raps with a hammer.

64osby

Admiral

Don't know if you pulled off the flywheel nut, but it's best to leave it on but loose. I had a flywheel that took several days to come off. Tried heat, ice, solvents and kept cranking the puller. When it finally did let go, it flew up at least a foot above the motor.

Glad I wasn't standing over it or right next to it. I might have ended up with a hockey player smile.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have used a heat gun to gently warm the flywheel. worth a try.
dino

chippster

Cadet

Thanks, all. It's off! First this evening, I used the impact wrench for a bit. No joy. But I don't discount that all the jarring it provided to the process that may have helped in a cumulative sort of way. Next, Mr. Hammer and I had a discussion with the flywheel - sharp raps as advised and not whaling on it. Not sure if I loosened it after this action but maybe. The whole flywheel unit would wiggle a tiny bit but it still didn't come all the way off. Next, the breaker bar and the glorious pop.

Along the way, I read all the posts above and was willing to try them all and just as importantly get the encouragement from them. I do appreciate it.

64osby

Admiral

:whoo:Good news.:D

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Victory! Nice job!