magnetic drain plug

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there any advantage to having a magnetic plug on the top and bottom plug?

If I remove a drain plug after 1 hour of use will I still need a new drain plug gasket?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: magnetic drain plug

You can run one up top if you want. As far as the seals I would replace the with part# 830749.... They have a aluminum core with a Teflon coating and can be reused, But they sell for almost $ 4.00 a pop.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Bravo 3 uses the same part number plug in both locations but whether a MC1 can without an issue I'm not sure.

I always replace the fiber washer whenever a plug comes out and just save the old one as a spare if it was fairly new.
At less than $1 each I would replace it.

Mark

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Having a magnetic plug on the fill and vent plugs is sort of like having a belt and suspenders. More than you need but no chance you are going to drop your pants. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. For the small extra cost why not? Also if you only have the drain and vent gaskets on for an hour you should be fine, but again for the small extra cost why take the chance? They do get mashed flat once you use them. I remember when you bought that boat. How is everything else going with it?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having a magnetic plug on the fill and vent plugs is sort of like having a belt and suspenders. More than you need but no chance you are going to drop your pants. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. For the small extra cost why not? Also if you only have the drain and vent gaskets on for an hour you should be fine, but again for the small extra cost why take the chance? They do get mashed flat once you use them. I remember when you bought that boat. How is everything else going with it?

I'm planning on taking it out the weekend after next.

I'm into it about $3700 including purchase price; park and government fees, registration and taxes for boat truck and trailer as well as repair and maintenance parts. I doubt I have more than $300 left to go not counting the need for a new $1300 SE106 outdrive at some point (hopefully next year). That puts me under the $6000 price I was aiming for when looking for a new (to me) boat.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear you made your budget. :thumb: Tiara makes a good solid boat, you should get many years of enjoyment out of it. Have fun in 2 weeks!