Wakeboarding Boat

makanesi

Recruit
I'm interested in getting a nice older wakeboarding boat but don't want to spend a lot of money. New to the boating community and wants some ideas for boats that are good for wakeboarding/skiing?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Wakeboarding Boat

I'm interested in getting a nice older wakeboarding boat but don't want to spend a lot of money. New to the boating community and wants some ideas for boats that are good for wakeboarding/skiing?

Welcome to Iboats.

The money factor is something that may limit you (depending on your definition of what's allot of money). Purpose built wake board boats are big $$$ even used. But that being said, almost any boat that can pull a skier should be fine to pull a wake board. You just may not get the most ideal wake behind the boat.

That being said, what's your budget?
Are there any intentions to use the boat for other purposes besides wake boarding? Is wake boarding something you like to do occasionally, or is it something you eat, breathe, and sleep? Will you be wake boarding with 2 other people, or are you going to have a gang of people doing it?

If you can answer these questions, the folks here can give you the best answers... ;)

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any of the big 3 would suit you well....

I regret buying an I/o I'll share that much.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most of the wake community would tell you that an inboard V-drive boat would be the ideal but there aer a great many very good boarders who ride behind I/O boats and do very well. I have not met anyone who does watersports a lot , and went to an inboard, that would still enjoy an I/O as much. A D-drive inboard is also good depending on what your interests are and which boat you choose. My own is a D-drive and I chose that over a V-drive because it suited my needs better. Personally, I am very glad that I went away from my I/O.
Budget is a huge factor. There are many great used V-drives from 25-40k and you can find inboards down to 3k although most older D-drives are over 10k. New inboards run from 50k to over 100k. Generally an inboard holds its value a little better than an I/O

Soder99

Cadet

ThreeMileBayWaker...can you clarify "big 3" for us not familiar with the industry? Thanks!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 'Big 3' would refer to Malibu, Mastercraft, and CorrectCraft (Nautique) as they have been larger and long established. Malibu and Mastercraft are the 1 and 2 manufacturers by volume. Skier's Choice (Supra/Moomba) sells more boats than CC over the last decade but it's not what is called the 'Big 3'

Soder99

Cadet

The 'Big 3' would refer to Malibu, Mastercraft, and CorrectCraft (Nautique) as they have been larger and long established. Malibu and Mastercraft are the 1 and 2 manufacturers by volume. Skier's Choice (Supra/Moomba) sells more boats than CC over the last decade but it's not what is called the 'Big 3'

Thanks for the mini-history lesson. If you have more to provide I'd love it.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had row boats, outboard motor boats, inboard/outboard boats, and an inboard tournament ski boat. By far the most enjoyable has been the inboard ski boat. I wish I would have bypassed all the other boats and got a tournament ski/wakeboard boat first.

You don't have to pay 30-40K for a used boat. I think you're smart for looking at an older one. I would stay away from ones with wood stringers and anything really old. Fuel injection is really nice to have as is perfect pass or other speed control. You can add a tower later if that's important to you. You should be able to find something nice that will work out well for you in the 10-15K range if you shop carefully and patiently.

You'll be able to tell if a boat has been taken care of or not. I would still recommend you take a boat to the shop for an inspection before you buy. Marine parts and labor are horribly expensive if you have problems. Interiors are expensive to replace as well so pay attention to the seat and fabric condition.

I would look around on Craigslist right now for some deals right now. It's a great time of the year to buy. Same for any ski gear you may want to pick up.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I'm not what you would call an "avid" wakeboarder, but I have been doing it for 20 years and do it almost everytime out!!! Anything I add will have exceptions, my statements are from my experience and can be considered "narrow". I learned behind a Champion Bass boat with a 200HP Mariner XR4.

Outboards...usually has the power and the space, just not the wake. Fat-sacs can be added, but you loose interior space/performance.

I/O...No power issues, decent out-of-the-box wake, can have great space because of engine layout (rear), which adds to the wake; Wakeskating would be a no-no for me as the you're too close to the outdrive at very slow speeds (not sure if you mentioned any interest in this, but with a direct-drive or v-drive, not an issue.) Fat-sacs can be added for additional weight but affects handling more than a onboard ballast tanks and they take up an immense amount of deck space.

Direct-Drive: Typically cheaper than a V-Drive, less interior space (motor doghouse in the middle). Handles straight, has great take-off. (most likely your sweet spot for the best $ to boat ratio). Some of the ones built in the last 10 years might have internal ballast tanks and generally are distributed evenly throughout the boat so handling is not affected as much as an I/O. A well cared for one does tend to hold it' value vs. an I/O, everything else being equal (year, motor, size, etc...) Limited steering when reversing (left only if I remember correctly?) Can wakeskate safely!!

V-Drive: Very similar to a Direct Drive in function with the exception the motor is located at the rear of the boat with a V-drive transmission mounted fore of the motor (under deck). A lot of the same features as a D-Drive along with a lot of the same handling characteristics. Can wakeskate safely!!

Good Luck with purchase...as others have stated, (paraphrasing) condition should trump brand name. Towers can be added, avoid boats with wood and catch some big air.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not what you would call an "avid" wakeboarder, but I have been doing it for 20 years and do it almost everytime out!!! Anything I add will have exceptions, my statements are from my experience and can be considered "narrow". I learned behind a Champion Bass boat with a 200HP Mariner XR4.

Outboards...usually has the power and the space, just not the wake. Fat-sacs can be added, but you loose interior space/performance.

I/O...No power issues, decent out-of-the-box wake, can have great space because of engine layout (rear), which adds to the wake; Wakeskating would be a no-no for me as the you're too close to the outdrive at very slow speeds (not sure if you mentioned any interest in this, but with a direct-drive or v-drive, not an issue.) Fat-sacs can be added for additional weight but affects handling more than a onboard ballast tanks and they take up an immense amount of deck space.

Direct-Drive: Typically cheaper than a V-Drive, less interior space (motor doghouse in the middle). Handles straight, has great take-off. (most likely your sweet spot for the best $ to boat ratio). Some of the ones built in the last 10 years might have internal ballast tanks and generally are distributed evenly throughout the boat so handling is not affected as much as an I/O. A well cared for one does tend to hold it' value vs. an I/O, everything else being equal (year, motor, size, etc...) Limited steering when reversing (left only if I remember correctly?) Can wakeskate safely!!

V-Drive: Very similar to a Direct Drive in function with the exception the motor is located at the rear of the boat with a V-drive transmission mounted fore of the motor (under deck). A lot of the same features as a D-Drive along with a lot of the same handling characteristics. Can wakeskate safely!!

Good Luck with purchase...as others have stated, (paraphrasing) condition should trump brand name. Towers can be added, avoid boats with wood and catch some big air.

Nicely said.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

That has always been the traditional view from water skiing, but as you mentioned, Supra/Moomba probably outsell all three of those combined! Add to the list Axis and Tige as major players in the market, as large if not larger than the big three when you count # of hulls sold.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Supra / Moomba are Skiers Choice boats.

Axis is Malibu.

Centurion has a long pedigree too.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Supra/Moomba combined sales are more than CC but less than either Mastercraft or Malibu. Tige's market share has been growing some but I don't have the most recent numbers. They used to be less than a third of Malibu or Mastercraft.
Of course, we are only talking about 3000 boats for the biggest manufacturers in a good year. My boat's a Sanger and they have been around since 1954 but they only make around 300 boats in a year. "A Lot of Boats" in the tow boat market does not mean very many.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unfortunately, we do not see too many Sanger's around here (Southeast US). Mastercraft and Skiers Choice are located here, and Malibu builds all their boats here. See lots of them.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OP one and done? Only thing i'll add to the above without any more specifics from the OP would be that the direction of an inboard in reverse depends on the rotation of the motor. my MC pulls starboard. my understanding is CC's pull port. the limited steering takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you have the hang of it you can use it to your advantage.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OP one and done? Only thing i'll add to the above without any more specifics from the OP would be that the direction of an inboard in reverse depends on the rotation of the motor. my MC pulls starboard. my understanding is CC's pull port. the limited steering takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you have the hang of it you can use it to your advantage.

This had me really worried when I got my inboard for bringing the boat into the dock. After a while you get to be really great at it.