Twin 1996 Johnson 225 issue

Caneiac69

Recruit
I have a pair of 1996 Johnson Ocean Runners and one outboard would start and idle without issue the other would start and not idle well and shut off. They both would run well once in gear and with the rpms up. Now my issue is I changed the fuel filters and the port engine would start and idle like it did before but the starboard would not start so I checked the fire at the coils and two of the six coils were not firing. I took two coils off the port engine and put them on the starboard engine in place of the two that were not firing and they still didn't seem to fire. When I put them back on the port engine it now will not start and some of the coils have fire sometimes and other times they have nothing. I am a bit confused as to what happened or what could be wrong. Could it be the kill switch working intermittently because every now and then they will both fire off and then shut off again.

Any help you can give me would make it easier on me to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Matt

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Twin 1996 Johnson 225 issue

Check out CDI Electronics.com. They have good trouble shooting procedures.

Caneiac69

Recruit

Thanks for the link. Here is an update both motors will start but will only run if I continue to push the choke in over and over. All I changed in the fuel system was the fuel filters. Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

Thank,

Matt

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When did this prob happen ?? Was it sudden or has the boat been sitting fo awhile ??

Caneiac69

Recruit

All of a sudden they ran good the day before except the starboard engine would not idle. I changed the fuel filters on them and then they would not start. I got them to start today but they will not run.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you say you have to keep using the choke to keep it running that's the first sign of carb probs. Have you checked the fuel for any water in it ??