pressure tank cleaning

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, im about to disassemble my 2 line pressure tank( aluminum primer button) it has a couple small leaks and is in pretty good shape for its age, chipped and scratched but no rust at all,what would be the best way to clean out the varnish on the inside, i was thinking castrol super clean but dont know if this will damage any coating on the inside of the tank ,if there even is one, and if so, after cleaning does the tank need to be resealed, any input would be appreciated,Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: pressure tank cleaning

The Castrol Super Clean is a great cleaning product. Almost too good. I have left it in for a week by mistake before and it started eating right through the aluminum. I ruined 2 good tanks that way. If you use it, only for a night or so.

Ammonia works well, is cheap, and easily found.

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I knew it was potent stuff, but didn't realize it could eat right through the tank, good to know.
So since there aluminum I'm assuming they actually don't have a coating on the inside of the tank.
Does anyone know how thick the cork gasket is when new, and can a good diaphragm be reused or is it just better to get a new one. Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to open her up, change the diaphragm for sure.

I make my own cork gaskets out of a roll of 1/16"

nwcove

Admiral

Wow, I knew it was potent stuff, but didn't realize it could eat right through the tank, good to know.
So since there aluminum I'm assuming they actually don't have a coating on the inside of the tank.
Does anyone know how thick the cork gasket is when new, and can a good diaphragm be reused or is it just better to get a new one. Thanks

aluminum pressure tank???? :confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I always thought those tanks were made out of steel. That's why they would rust up.

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, they are made of steel, my bad, thanks for the helpful advice and info.