1955 12ft starcraft questions

xoibsurferx

Cadet
I posted a few days ago about possibly purchasing a boat but I don't think the owner is wanting to sell it since its his fathers boat and he's no longer with us.

I came across this 12 ft. starcraft jon boat and was wondering about it. I can't find any specs on a 1955 starcraft and it has a 20HP mercury that the owner said is from the 70's. He has the title for the boat and trailer and the engine runs good from what he says. I'm concerned that 20HP will be a lot for a 12ft boat but I've known people to do it with out issues (just don't run WOT much).

Can anyone provide any info on this boat? Is a 20HP mercury from the 70's over kill? I mean $800 is a good price imo for this set up but the 20HP may be too much.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 12ft starcraft questions

20 hp is a LOT for that boat but do-able. Boat looks really nice. I'd say it's worth a look but $800 seems a bit much to me. I'm not much of a "Tinner" so maybe it's a good deal. The Tin Guys will be along and give their opinions I'm sure.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

20 hp is a LOT for that boat but do-able. Boat looks really nice. I'd say it's worth a look but $800 seems a bit much to me. I'm not much of a "Tinner" so maybe it's a good deal. The Tin Guys will be along and give their opinions I'm sure.

I'm a very light guy (110lbs) so I know just me at the back with a 20HP with the fuel tank in the front and anchors in the front to keep the bow down I MAY be okay.

Grandpa Mike

Seaman Apprentice

Is a 20HP mercury from the 70's over kill?

Years ago my oldest son and I used a 10hp Merc on a twelve footer. Our fishing was limited to a lake in SW Ohio. Usually the best fishing wasn't far from the dock but occasionally, we took it out to open water just to have fun and "run" the motor. My son wasn't much heavier than you at the time, but I'm a big guy.

By the time that summer ended, the transom was beat-up pretty good and leaking substantially. I'd agree with Woodonglass, that's a LOT. BTW, eventually I did look at the boat rating...7 hp was the max suggested.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

Yeah, if you make a portable livewell and keep your icechest up front you should be fine. This might be of interest...

Homemade Live Well - YouTube

My wife will be coming with me at times so if she rides on the front bench I bet that would help a lot as well with the bow issues. I'm assuming the guy has been running the 20hp on it for awhile so I'll make sure to check the transom and see if its been handling the 20hp okay and make sure its not all beat up.

64osby

Admiral

Just checked a 1958 brochure and the motor maximum for 12'ers ranged from 7.5 to 12hp depending on the model. 20 hp sounds way too big looking at the boat. My .02

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My dad's 14' Alumacraft tinnie is rated for 15HP. We ran it for years with a 4HP which pushed it nicely but didn't plane. Lat Spring I picked up a 15HP. With my dad, my 5 year old, and myself it really hauls butt. However, my dad tried using it by himself with the 15 and hated it. Couldn't get enough weight in the front to keep the bow down. The good news, if your 20 is a runner and you take lots of good pics and video of it running on the water, you can sell it this time of year for a pretty penny and get a 9.9. If you usually have a passenger who can sit up front, you'll probably be ok but by yourself it might be annoying.

Bondo

Staff member

I posted a few days ago about possibly purchasing a boat but I don't think the owner is wanting to sell it since its his fathers boat and he's no longer with us.

I came across this 12 ft. starcraft jon boat and was wondering about it. I can't find any specs on a 1955 starcraft and it has a 20HP mercury that the owner said is from the 70's. He has the title for the boat and trailer and the engine runs good from what he says. I'm concerned that 20HP will be a lot for a 12ft boat but I've known people to do it with out issues (just don't run WOT much).

Can anyone provide any info on this boat? Is a 20HP mercury from the 70's over kill? I mean $800 is a good price imo for this set up but the 20HP may be too much.

Ayuh,... That 12' Jonboat in yer link is a V-hull, not a Jonboat...

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran a 15hp 2-stroke on my 12ft V. With my fat butt (240lbs), a 6gal fuel tank and transom elec trolling motor on back I had no issues with keeping the bow down or getting her to plane. With me, girlfriend, full load of fuel, deep cycle battery, trolling motor and a small ice chest full of beer and soda could still plan and pull 18mph.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

I went to check this boat out and had to pass on it. The actual boat was in good shape but the motor wouldn't start guy kept flooding it and said it runs great. He told me he never hauled the boat with the motor and always put it in the back of his truck and put it on at the lake but he couldn't even pick it up haha. Also it was all oily on the engine block and I could tell it wasn't taken care of. I'm going to check out a bigger 17ft v hull boat tomorrow with a 25hp johnson. It looks a lot more fit to carry my wife and two kids with me.

64osby

Admiral

Sounds like a good call walking away.

The 17 sounds like if would fit your family better, but it also sounds under powered. Check the HP rating on the boat when you are looking it over.