1961 14ft. American MARC Baroda restoration, cleaning the hull & interior

Grandpa Mike

Seaman Apprentice
My son and I are restoring this boat. For a old fiberglass runabout, it seems to be in great condition for it's age. I had some questions about cleaning the hull and interior.

We do intend to re-paint this boat once stripped and cleaned. I have some concerns about moving it around to be clean. It is a fiberglass hull and I thought the best way to clean it would be with a pressure washer and the right cleaners/chemicals. Is a pressure washer to harsh for an old fiberglass hull?

Are there any products/chemicals you might recommend? Any cleaners/chemicals I should stay away from?

Would there be any concern over sitting it up on it's stern while pressure washing? It is on a trailer but of course to clean and paint the hull, we're going to need to get to it. I suppose the obvious question is about how to turn it over and what sort of cradles we should fabricate, any cautionary comments on flipping it over?

What kind of fiberglass resin would have been used back in 1960 and what would you suggest for minor repairs.

The only damage I can find so far on this hull is what looks like a 8-10 inch "patch" on the inside of the hull about two feet from the transom and high but near the water line.

I don't trust other people's "fixes" and would rather sink at my own hand. This looks like what someone would have done with an automotive fiberglass repair kit and I'd like to remove the patch, get a good look at the damage and repair it myself.

If this were a 1961 pick-up, I'd just do it but this is my son's boat, I really don't know squat about boats and that's why I'm here. Not asking the question is they only stupid question. Thanks so much for your feed-back. This forum has already been a great resource, lots of friendly, helpful people!
Thoughts, comments?

minnow.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 14ft. American MARC Baroda restoration, cleaning the hull & interior

GPM,
Boat is made from Polyester Resin. Don't worry to much about the hull. She's a LOT tougher than you think. I have a 1961 Lonestar and I pushed her off the trailer onto the Yard and rolled her onto her side and on to her top then lifted her on to the cradle I built. Any good Laminating Polyester Resin will suffice. You can check my Rebuild thread at the My Flamingo link in my signature below. Some other really good ones for you to look At are...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto.../mfg-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969.html
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pair/1982-sylvan-bassboat-project-526064.html
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...epair/1959-lake-n-sea-restoration-518629.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do a Lot or searching and reading here on the forum for Stringer and Transom repair. You'll find about everything you need to know about restoring your boat. One more thing, You might want to contact a Moderator and have them combine this thread with your Sons thread. It will make things a lot easier for the members to follow along with your rebuild.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Um, isn't that the S.S. Minnow?

Aww.. you ruined my Fun ;) ..

Why do you think I put MGK. instead of YD. in my post .. Maynard G. Krebs :lol:.

YD.

Grandpa Mike

Seaman Apprentice

Since Gilligan's Island was originally aired on CBS from September 26, 1964, to September 4, 1967...I thought I was going to get one past my son. (He was born in '82) I'm really not so sure he would have caught this one. And of course Mary-Ann hands-down. Especially if you like coconut cream pie. Ginger was a high-maintenance diva.
Mary Ann Gilligans Island 00.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Since Gilligan's Island was originally aired on CBS from September 26, 1964, to September 4, 1967...I thought I was going to get one past my son. (He was born in '82) I'm really not so sure he would have caught this one. And of course Mary-Ann hands-down. Especially if you like coconut cream pie. Ginger was a high-maintenance diva.
View attachment 185673

Yes Mary Ann wins hands down, but without pictures of your classic boat, it just wont be the same. I am restoring a 1960 glass runabout too. We sure will respond better with pictures!!