Driveshaft problem?

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I pulled my gen2 outdrive off to change bellows/gimbal bearing/water pump, found some marks from the needle bearings on the gimbal bearing where it mounts (pic), also a groove on the driveshaft near the splines (next pic). Can I simply replace the bearing, and does the shaft need to be replaced...could this just be the result of bad alignment? I bought this thinking I simply could replace said items, I'd like to get it right the first time. Any comments would help.

Thanks,

Ed

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Driveshaft problem?

Those lines are from the tolerance ring of the gimbal bearing, has nothing to do with the internal bearing. Besides, it's a ball bearing, not a roller or needle bearing.

Don S

Just replace the bearing, everything looks normal.

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice

So Don, this is normal? Can I just mount the new bearing in place? I'm having trouble loading the other pic of the driveshaft...the circumferential groove (not even all the way around) about 2-3 inches off the splines...any thoughts?

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, you replied before I reposted.

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice

Here's the driveshaft, the notch is more like 2-3 cm from the splines...first time uploading pics, sorry

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

I'm not sure what you're even asking about the shaft, it looks fine in that picture. That groove is an oring that keeps the grease in when you grease the coupler using the zirks on the coupler.

As far as the gimbal bearing, yes, install a new one and make sure the engine is aligned properly with an alignment bar. If you are unsure about that process, check out the stickies at the top of this forum (First two threads)

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I see the o-ring. There is a divot in the drive, all the way around. Is this normal wear? No mechanic around here will say yes or no without first charging a service fee for eyeballing it.

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Looks like some corrosion from the end of the coupler. Might want to stop the water getting to that area.
I sure wouldn't worry about that groove if it was mine.

eb0248

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, once again, Don...that's what I was hoping to hear. First time I've taken on the outdrive myself, wrench in one hand and Merc manual in the other. Actually broke down and brought the alignment tool, bellows expander, etc. Getting a quick education.