Basic Fuel Line Comparison. Which type do I need?

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice
I need to replace all of the old fuel line on my engine when I do my carb rebuilds. In researching, I find that there are four types, or grades, of flexible rubber fuel line, A1 and A2 as well as B1 and B2. I understand that A1 is the highest grade of rubber hose. Is A1 what I need to go from the fuel pump to the carbs? I believe I need 3/8 hose on my 96 115, but I am having trouble verifying that as well. Can anyone school me on hoses?

Thanks
Brad

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Basic Fuel Line Comparison. Which type do I need?

Good to see that your doing it in the right order. Usually it's "hey I just rebuilt my carbs, need to replace my fuel lines". At any rate, I would run the biggest line that you can as long as it fit's snuggly over the connectors.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The best hose to use for gas of today will have a rubber outer coating and a shiney poly liner inside of it. It is enthenol resitant hose. Ethenol will eat a stright rubber hose in just a few years. Get the same size hose to fit the barbs of the carbs and fuel pump and aother hoses that you are going to replace. Use good clamps at all the hoses arrachments. JMO
Oldman570

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The hose barbs will probably be 5/16 to 3/8. I have the former inside my 90 and the inlet line is 3/8. I just used automotive fuel line but I don't have any hidden lines or other things that would cause me to worry. If cars run on it, why wouldn't my OB.

Mark