Need help installing start button

brianj53

Recruit
Hey guys,
I have a 1968/69 Johnson 25 hp tiller control outboard that I need to install a push start button and maybe a kill button. The motor was on a center console boat but now on a much smaller boat and I don't need an ignition switch. The motor has the wiring harness (ABOUT 6 FEET LONG) coming out of the motor but I am not sure if the color wires are correct.The motor does not have a choke solenoid so I don't have to worry about that. What wires do I attach to the start button? I presume I can still use the battery wires in the wiring harness (heavy guage black and red wires with battery connectors on the ends) to attach to the battery.. Also how would I wire a kill switch as I don't want to use the pull out choke to kill the motor?

All help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully
Brian

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Need help installing start button

Long, long ago that's the way it was always done. Push button start, push button kill. All that are needed are 2 momentary switches, Normally open. With the wire harness you have there it would still be easier to just wire in a key switch and mount that then mounting and wiring 2 push buttons. Could even just go to a HD or Lowe's and getting a simple wall switch box to wire the key switch into and just mount it to the back of the bench seat.

Should only need 4 wires from the harness as one of those would be for an electric choke.

lindy46

Captain

So is the starter solenoid currently mounted in a remote junction box?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

No, leave starter solenoid where it is. Should be on the engine. Run that 6' of harness to a box, connect with cordgrip to one side of the box and then just put an ignition key switch into the other side of the box and close it up. Easiest way if you don't have a panel to go to.

brianj53

Recruit

Sir,

What I had in mind was this:
Only have the neg and pos cables coming out of the engine. Dissemble wiring harness and only use the wires needed for start button and kill switch. Tape off any wires I don't need and connect needed wires to the start button and kill switch. I will mount the start button and kill switch to the side of the motor and wire them on the inside. I need to find out which wires in the wiring harness go to the start button and how to wire a kill switch.

I appreciate your help

respectfully
Brian

terrysandlin

Seaman

I just completed a start and kill switch on a 1983 25hp. The original engine had a momentary start and momentary kill switch. When I bought it, it had a keyed start on a box outside the engine. I wanted to have both switches on the front of the engine. The cost for OMC replacement switches was extreme. I got a momentary start from NAPA and and off/on toggle switch from Ace Hardware. The toggle switch was the only one I found that would fit in the opening on the engine, the momentary switches were too big. I know there are disadvantages with the toggle. I'll see how it works out.

lindy46

Captain

Sir,

What I had in mind was this:
Only have the neg and pos cables coming out of the engine. Dissemble wiring harness and only use the wires needed for start button and kill switch. Tape off any wires I don't need and connect needed wires to the start button and kill switch. I will mount the start button and kill switch to the side of the motor and wire them on the inside. I need to find out which wires in the wiring harness go to the start button and how to wire a kill switch.

I appreciate your help

respectfully
Brian

Done this many times. Mount the starter solenoid on the bottom pan - you may have to rig up a bracket of some sort. Then connect the 4 or 6awg cable from the + battery cable to the large terminal post on the starter solenoid (same one as used before). Also connect a 12awg jumper wire to the same post. Now run that 12awg wire to one side of a momentary pushbutton (mounted on the side of the cowl pan). Run another wire from the other terminal of the pushbutton back to the small terminal next to the large battery terminal on the starter solenoid. Now run a ground wire from the other small solenoid terminal back to the engine block. Run another 4 or 6awg from the other large starter solenoid terminal to the terminal on the starter. Now, connect the black (negative) battery cable to the engine block. I usually remove one of the starter bracket bolts and ground it there. That completes the starter circuit. If you want a kill switch, use another momentary pushbutton and connect two wires from that pushbuttons' terminals to each of the point sets under the flywheel. Pushing the button will ground the points together and kill the engine.

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, if I already have all my wiring under present since my motor is already electric start. Can't I wire the mometary switch between the red wire with violet stripe and yellow wire with red stripe for a start button on an 1980 Johnson 35hp.