Anyone use a solar power kit to charge a boat battery?

87duckfanssp

Recruit
I have a 1959 Evinrude Lark 35 HP that does not have a generator/alternator built in. I am not a mechanic, but it seems like a solar powered kit might be an easy thing to install. I just want to keep the battery charged during summer use while on the water if I'm using an electric trolling motor, and still have enough power to start the Evinrude motor.

If anyone is currently using a solar power kit to do this, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the brand/model/size that is working!

Thanks in advance!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anyone use a solar power kit to charge a boat battery?

I run solar chargers in alot of my 50s OMCS with electric start and no generator. They keep the battery topped up all summer long.

However, if you are running an electric trolling motor off the same battery, it wont cut it. I would use an independant battery for that, and then charge it after use. The solar chargers are just light trickle chargers to maintain. An electric trolling motor will kill a battery in no time, especially in the wind.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anyone use a solar power kit to charge a boat battery?

However, if you are running an electric trolling motor off the same battery, it wont cut it. I would use an independant battery for that, and then charge it after use. The solar chargers are just light trickle chargers to maintain. An electric trolling motor will kill a battery in no time, especially in the wind.

+1
Consider running TWO batteries for your trolling motor, independent of the main starting motor. You'd need a solar panel bigger than the boat to keep up with the amp draw of a trolling motor. I run a 165 watt panel on my golf cart (same size as the canopy) and it only extends my range about one mile. Great for keeping the battery bank "topped off" but I still need to plug it in after 18 holes.
I would connect a panel to the main starting battery just to make sure you don't have to row home after draining the trolling batteries.