Steering Wheel Poll/Soundoff

nola000

Cadet
Please post you motor HP, steering wheel diameter, power knob yes or no, hydraulic or cable steering and your opinion of how easy or hard it is to steer. Ill go first...

150HP
16" diameter
No power knob
Cable steering
Easy to steer

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering Wheel Poll/Soundoff

Please post you motor HP, steering wheel diameter, power knob yes or no, hydraulic or cable steering and your opinion of how easy or hard it is to steer. Ill go first...

150HP
16" diameter
No power knob
Cable steering
Easy to steer

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... What's yer Real question.... This 1 seems to be a real apples, 'n oranges type...

haulnazz15

Captain

Lol, that and the fact that most people don't know the steering wheel diameter. You also didn't specify inboard, inboard-outboard, or outboard drive type.

nola000

Cadet

Ooops. Did I do something wrong?

I need to change my steering wheel to get better visibility of my gauges so I wanted a good cross-section of the most used wheel diameters for different HP motors so I wouldnt buy something too small and feel like Im fighting the motor and regret the purchase. I realize its very subjective but I thought it would be a good guide.

I tend to brain **** everything, is the forum collectively laughing at me right now? :embarassed:

Oh yea, outboard for me.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just worry about other outboards then. My inboard steers easier than any outboard but that's because it just turns a rudder.
The wheel diameter makes a big difference in steering effort so you are right to consider carefully before you drop the size. You could also look at offset wheels like are often found on cars. The problem with them is that your wheel is often not straight on a boat as steering trim changes with boat load and speeds.
I'll let guys with outboard experience tell you what they've found as to steering type.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our SkipperLiner has a pair of those large diameter (20" or so?) SS wheels with wood-over-SS spokes, and hydraulic steering that's as easy to turn as any power steering. It's 7-1/4 turns lock to lock, and I HATE those wheels in the harbor. I want get a pair of small-- like 10" diameter or LESS- wheels and suicide knobs for each one so I can point my drives where I need them QUICKLY.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have a 16 in SS with a crank knob. I could of gotten by with a lot smaller one but ran across a smoking deal on this one.

new consol 10.JPG

nola000

Cadet

Thats the one I want. The tri-spoke wheel with the knob. Id like to get maybe a 13" but Im worried I might wear my arm out. Right now I got a 16" and steering is pretty easy from what I remember(havent had it out in 4 years) but its so big it blocks my gauges. Made worse by the fact it is a destroyer style wheel with like 5-6 spokes.

I figure if enough people post at this thread that they have a 125-175 hp outboard with a 13" wheel w/ knob then Ill be comfortable going the same route.

southkogs

Staff member

I'm kind of a fan of the destroyer wheel - it's easy to see past.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

so far this one is easy to see through.

nola000

Cadet

No offense to anyone with a destroyer(to each his own) but I think the destroyer wheels look wimpy, cheap and generic. The tri-spoke that everybody has now looks beefier and of higher quality. Of course in 10 years the same will likely be said about the tri-spoke. :grumpy:

nola000

Cadet

So what the deal? Nobody wants to respond to my request? :blue:

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had one similar on my old '70 Coronet R/T back in the day, only it had a padded grip instead of the chain-- I loved the thing! Then one day the power steering belt broke...
;)

southkogs

Staff member

No offense to anyone with a destroyer(to each his own) but I think the destroyer wheels look wimpy, cheap and generic. The tri-spoke that everybody has now looks beefier and of higher quality. Of course in 10 years the same will likely be said about the tri-spoke. :grumpy:

So what the deal? Nobody wants to respond to my request? :blue:
... well, not after you bashed my destroyer wheel. No. ;)

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I seldom need to use more than 12 inches ...

Attachments

• GaugePackage.jpg
    GaugePackage.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0

nola000

Cadet

Damn V153, that must suck. Maybe you could move your gauges over.

64osby

Admiral

Why don't you show us what you have now. Maybe someone would have a good suggestion.

nola000

Cadet

My boat is embarrassing. Plus I dont have a picture of the steering wheel. This is the only pic I have of the console. Ill take more tomorrow.

DSCF4874_zpsec35c555.jpg

nola000

Cadet

Ok. Found one.
Its not blocking the gauges right now but I plan to flip that RPM gauge to the other side and pop in a GPS/Chartplotter where the RPM gauge is now.

untitled_zpsc39fd3fc.jpg