125 fuel prob

taylor59

Cadet
boat will run good for couple min then starts losing power i put electric pump on still doing same thing what is fuel pressure for 125 force or can anyone help

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 125 fuel prob

In your case, the best investment you can do now is to install a clear fuel filter between the discharge of the fuel pump and the inlet connection of the carbs. With this you can actually tell if you are running low on fuel supply. If you are, it is mainly due to the following:
clogged vent in the tank; air leak from the suction side of the fuel system and partially clogged pick up tube in the tank or clogged suction hose. The latter is really easy to fix by blowing back. However, for air leak it is a little different and usually with a clear fuel filter air bubbles will indicate air leak on the suction side. Personally, I would rather go with the original fuel pump.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pressure is about 2-3#.
Any electric will probably be too much pressure.
Too much pressure and it can lock the carb and the needles lock in place or they can lock open,allowing flooding.
My opinion on electric fuel pumps on an older outboard is: it's like adding a BOMB to the boat.

Do a compression test. The #3 cyl. powers the pump. Low or no comp and it won't work.
What did the diaphram look like?Pics?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Jerry!

On Force outboards there is no easy way to automatically shut down the electric fuel pump if the engine stalls. I suspect that you have not installed safety shut-down devices. Thus: The pump will continue to run unless you have a separate switch on it AND you turn off the switch--not likely to happen in an emergency situation.

The electric pump can overpressurize the fuel system resulting in leaks with possible fire and definite environmental impact. The crankcase pressure/vacuum diaphragm pump is a time-proven functional and safe device. Make sure yours is working properly and go back to using it.

taylor59

Cadet

it was doing same thang with org fuel pump so i put the 4 to 6 psi pump on pulled tube in tank an inspected look good could blow thru easy pumped all gas out checked for water and trash found neither checked carbs bowl clean got orignal fuel pump kit coming i did have glass filter on it filter had orange fuel after it sat awhile clean it out just waiting on fuel pump kit then going to try it angain anything else i might try

Jiggz

Captain

When you are ready to do another test can you take note of the following: What conditions are you running the engine? On muffs, on water, at what speed? How high and how long before the engine losses power? Losses power in what sense? Will not rev up RPM? Will start misfiring? Is the clear fuel filter still full when this happens? How about if you put it in neutral and rev up the engine manually using the tower, will it rev up? I guess we need specifically to define what you meant by losing power.

taylor59

Cadet

i took boat to river it ran great when we first got there had about half tank in it ran good till i got to about 1/8 tank think that i have junk in my tank had something in my filter got a glass filter on it still running elect fuel pump no leaks and i do have it on switch i guess i,ll pull tube on tank again and float and clean tank then check tube clean filter and carbs and add fresh gas and oil and try it still waiting on my fuel pump repair kit going to put it back on when i get it

taylor59

Cadet

i think it,s a fuel prob jiggz i found junk in glass filter not sure what it was but cleaning tank carbs and all
ran great till picked up junk gonna try again

Jiggz

Captain

Just to be sure you can also try running on an external tank. For the mean time you might want to flush the existing tank and also the built in fuel filter in the fuel pump. Technically, the fuel filter in the fuel diaphragm will catch all debris and the only purpose of the clear fuel filter is basically for troubleshooting purposes. Of course, in your case you are using an electric fuel pump which I'm not sure if it has a built in fuel filter which I believe doesn't that's why you see it in the clear fuel filter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I use a filter from wallyworld. Fram G-2 or G-12 something like that.
It's a clear particle filter and it will stop about 100% of the junk from hitting the carbs.
I install it usually before the fuel pump.
This little filter has saved a bunch of boats and some yard equipment,trucks and even a travellift.
If you have a lot of water in your system,get a water/fuel seperting filter.This site has them or wallyworld.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Just wondering, you didn't say if you checked fuel vent. If the tank doesn't vent or let air in, it will cause this same problem.

taylor59

Cadet

yea i,ve got that filter and i,ve already check vent even tryed loosing cap ,gonna clean carbs ,tank and stuff then try and let you all know thanks you all

L98TPI

Cadet

Just a thought. I once had a fixed tank that kept putting almost invisible flakes of varnish like stuff in the gas. This crap kept clogging things up and was hard to see even in a clear line or glass bodied filter. I finally figured it out and pulled the tank and pressure washed the inside with plenty of purple power de-greaser. Dried it out with a blower hose poked in the fill over night. Wa-la no more flakes...clean as a whistle!

Another point. You have to be careful what you put on the vacuum side of a fuel pump. It has to be a course screen a "strainer" just to catch the crap that might clog or damage the pump. These are specked in the 300 micron range typically. Then on the pressure side you put the "filter", spec'ed in microns, 30 being typical, where the pump can push fuel through the resistance of the filter media. A fine filter in front of a pump will encourage vapor bubbles to form, the course screen has little of this effect, the fine filter has a certain amount of restriction and the strainer practically none. The hotter the fuel is and the higher the vacuum the more bubbles. These bubbles cant be pumped so if you get enough of them they will 'vapor lock' the pump. I have stood and watched this happen, looking at a filter with a glass body and watching the fuel pressure.

If there are no stock filters and hunting up one from another application is a hassle, go to a place like Summit Racing. They have hundreds of configurations and spec all the mesh and micron sizes.

Last edited: