Top carb too much gas? 92 e60tle

Tcla5988

Cadet
Got the boat running good under drive but will not plane off. With cowling off I can visually see more gas going in op carb. This sounds like why it wouldn't plane. Am I on the right track and what's te deal with fixing it? Boat idles fine and drive idles at around 1100rpm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Top carb too much gas? 92 e60tle

Do a cyl drop test on it to see which one isn't firing.

Tcla5988

Cadet

Got home early, checked spark are all heatlhy. Ill crank it during the day for a sound test? Any other suggestions? I also notice a little gass in the carb puddles up after a day or so in the bottom carb. Nothing crazy though

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I have this same situation with my 1992 60 hp. Fuel spitback out of the top carb. An OMC master tech told me this is a "normal" situation on this engine. The spitback is actually not from the carb, but from a port in the intake manifold, right at the top carb mounting opening. It is part of the crankshaft lube system on that engine. Fuel/oil mix will exit this port in the intake manifold and actually spit (pulse) back into/through the top carb. Somewhat unnerving, but I've learned to live with it. The small amount of any excess fuel will accumulate at the bottom of the airbox and will be recirculated (for combustion) into the bottom cyl. Basically, run it as it is. You can verify this by pulling the top carb off and view the small opening in the intake manifold right where the carb throat flange mounts.

Tcla5988

Cadet

Okay I'm with ya on this, sounds right. If it doesn't get up to plane at wot then what would I consider looking Into? Fuel air mixture?

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have this same situation with my 1992 60 hp. Fuel spitback out of the top carb. An OMC master tech told me this is a "normal" situation on this engine. The spitback is actually not from the carb, but from a port in the intake manifold, right at the top carb mounting opening. It is part of the crankshaft lube system on that engine. Fuel/oil mix will exit this port in the intake manifold and actually spit (pulse) back into/through the top carb. Somewhat unnerving, but I've learned to live with it. The small amount of any excess fuel will accumulate at the bottom of the airbox and will be recirculated (for combustion) into the bottom cyl. Basically, run it as it is. You can verify this by pulling the top carb off and view the small opening in the intake manifold right where the carb throat flange mounts.

This is exactly what I found out about my 1989 60hp. Unfortunately the air silencer warps over time and the gaskets aren't perfectly tight, so some of the fuel drips out.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

First off, what is the compession on each cylinder? That's the first thing to check to make sure the powerhead is worth putting $ and repair effort into it. Assuming it's ok, you've either got a fuel or spark issue if it won't plane out. Probably easiest is to check for spark. (it either sparks on all 3 cyls or not.) You can easily check for spark with an inductive timing light. Attached to the spark plug wire, the flashes from the gun will show the quality of spark misfires, no firing, etc-while the engine is running on the trailer. I'd make sure the engine is fully warmed up prior to doing the test. (Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine comes up to normal operating temps.) That engine may seem to run fine on the trailer in the back yard, while only running on 2 cyls. You need all 3 firing when in the lake. You mentioned you've confirmed the spark is ok. I'd visually check to make sure the timer base is advancing properly when the spark advance lever is moving to WOT. If it all checks out-now you are on to the next phase-looking at the fuel delivery system.