Foamed-in wiring...what to do?

SaltCracker

Cadet
Forgot to introduce myself on my first post, so...hello everyone! Glad to be part of a great forum with lots of helpful advice.

Here's my problem: I need to replace a section of the wiring to my aerator. It's a 3-4 foot section of wire that runs from a connection in the rear compartment down through a hole in the rigging tube, then through a hole in the stringer and into the bilge. The problem: the wire is embedded in foam where it exits the hole in the stringer. It won't budge. I can get to either end of it, but I can't pull it out. (Hope all that made sense.) The wiring for the bilge pump is also foamed-in this way. I understand a lot of boat manufacturers do this.

So my question is: What is my best option? Can I dig out enough foam to get the wire loose and pull it out, and is that advisable? Or am I better off re-routing that connection?

2003 Blue Wave 190 Deluxe C Special

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Foamed-in wiring...what to do?

I think Home Cookin' is right. Without knowing how far the foam goes down... better to just re-route the wiring.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why do you need tp replace it? the chances of it being damaged inside the foam are VERY slim........
But yeah if you really do need to replace it then as stated above, just abandon it and run new wire

If only a small part on one side or the other is damaged you CAN splice... I suggest heat shrink waterproof butt connectors

mobileinfo

Cadet

A cheap multimeter will allow you to test the wire using "continuity" and should provide an audible tone "beep" if the wire is intact and ok to reuse.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Concur, I don't see how an encased wire could go bad so I don't think that is your problem, tell us why you are replacing the wire.

And I agree with the others, you will need to find another route to the bilge.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

There are still many reasons to have to replace an encased wire. Especially in wet environments. Corrosion comes to mind 1st. We pull new wire all the time where I work because of it. Motor malfunctions, wires overheat.

SaltCracker

Cadet

There are still many reasons to have to replace an encased wire. Especially in wet environments. Corrosion comes to mind 1st. We pull new wire all the time where I work because of it. Motor malfunctions, wires overheat.

That appears to be exactly the problem here: the wire corroded inside the insulation and will no longer conduct a current. I had the same problem with the same wire when I replaced the aerator pump a couple of years ago; it had corroded for three or four inches back from where it connected to the wires on the pump. That time I was able to cut off the corroded part and get to good wire for a connection. This time the corrosion is more extensive. When I get back in there tomorrow I may be able to strip it back a little farther, get to clean wire, and make the connection. But I'm not hopeful about that, which is why I sought the advice of you good people.

By the way, this is a good reminder that some "waterproof" connections aren't so waterproof. I'll be going the extra mile on my wiring connections (especially in the bilge!) from now on.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If the issue is due to corrosion expect more wiring to be damaged and consider running extra wiring for future repairs if the area is difficult to access

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes we have even had 10hp 480v electric motors burn up in 25 below freezing storage freezers because of ice build up inside the motors and conduit.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a bow light that is prone to pick fights with piers, and lose. The rest of the time it drinks salt water. The wiring is in foam, which goes all the way up to the surface of the hole. I was down to the last nub I could grab, even after digging out some foam.

So here's a suggestion, if you have a similar situation: when you first go to replace the light, make a good connection to the exsting wire with about 2' of wire, super seal it, and then connect your new light or whatever to the other end. Yes, I know that's contrary to the strategy of fewer connections, but it gives you something to work with next time.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Since you have access to both ends, I'd try softening up the foam surrounding the wire(s) with a solvent.