1985 Johnson 50hp trim/tilt

DavidD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 50hp tilt seems dis fuctional it was working fine last summer. It will not raise sounds like its low or out of fluid. Can someone point me towards some info on it?

Attachments

• tiltresize.jpg
    tiltresize.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1985 Johnson 50hp trim/tilt

it is a prestolite. same pump as a Chrysler/Force except with larger mounting plate and different port threads. Fixing one is same as fixing the other.

If the motor spins, if there is fluid, if there are no external leaks, and it still doesn't lift-lower properly .... then your valve body (aka pump) has a problem. Drift down is a leaky check valve. Failure to lift can be loose manual release, broken manual release, or blown out check valve. Lifting but not lowering is a pressure lock usually caused by improper spring compression on regulator.

DavidD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay got it moving guess I need to start a new thread on rebuilding the cylinders....

RRitt

Captain

cylinder rebuild is easy. take apart, clean, assemble with new rubber. don't hone. inside should be smooth aluminum with gold alodized finished. the metal piston should have never contacted the cylinder walls and the only wear is rubber vs aluminum. the aluminum should be as perfect today as the day it was made. if the inside of cyl. is scored then you need to make sure that piston shaft is straight and cylinder cap is not wallowed out.