Recommendations Due to Winter Disaster

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Situation - Tree limb fell into boat and ripped cover and canvas. Snow/rain/debris got into boat. Debris clogged drain plug. Bilge area and ski locker filled with water which is just above motor mounts....hence then froze, now a block of ice!

Submerged in water/ice...
fuel tank
trim pump and reservoir
ice/water level at bottom of crankshaft pulley which is even with top of motor mounts.

To add insult to injury....I pulled the outdrive, water drained out of gimbal bearing area (bow was elevated) giving me an indication of how high the water level was or just to confuse the hell out of me....was the water always there due to a bellows leak in the bellows requiring bellows maintenance....now I'll never no if I had a bad bellows or was the water present caused by it flooding from the inside. However, the gimbal bearing and ujoints checked out ok and looked like new minus the water in bottom of bellows.

I really have no place indoors to take it tkjo thaw, so I am kind of limited there....(maybe use some type of heater???)

I am reaching out to the forum for ANY ideas/recommendations on what to do - what not to do - what to watch out for, etc.

For what its worth, the engine was winterized and fogged and hopefully this didn't do any internal damage.

Bottom line.....I HAVE A MESS! Thanks much for any input!!
John.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Recommendations Due to Winter Disaster

First before anything else, check with your insurance company. Homeowners insurance will probably pay for the damage.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checking with the homeowner (boat on his property) and also called my insurance co. Waiting on call back. I am leaning toward getting some type of heater set up right away so boat will drain if anything else for now....??? :blue:

Alumarine

Captain

If the water in the bellows was clear (not like a coffee milkshake) that would indicate that it was not from a prior bellows leak.
Good luck. Maybe try a kerosine construction heater?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If water in the bellows, you need to replace it. If that water froze, it could very well have split the bellows near the clamp. Why take the chance for such a minor part.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Maybe try a kerosine construction heater?

Uhh.. Wouldn't be using anything with an open flame if there is a potential for gas fumes. The OP would really have a mess on his hands if something happened.

Some form of electric heat would seem to be the safest, although still risky.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The water that got into the bellows likely came in from the bilge side, there's not really any waterproofing from the inside-out. In addition to changing out the bellows as Don suggested, you may find a pretty rusty gimbal bearing...

As for the ice in the bilge, I'd just let it melt on its own.