'69 Lightwin 4hp; question on common problems/value

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
As the title states, I'm checking out an old Evinrude 4 tomorrow. Model / Vin # 4906B-E02059. If it checks out, I'm going to use it as a kicker. The guy is asking $175, which, honestly, sounds pretty fair to me if it runs. But I'd love to get some feedback from some folks who've run these...anything to look for beyond compression/gear oil check? Based on somewhat limited research, it seems like this engine configuration was sold for many years with minimal changes, which is a check in the plus column for me.

Thanks guys.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '69 Lightwin 4hp; question on common problems/value

That is one of the best outboards ever built, by anyone. If it has been well cared for continuing the good care will please you for many years.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

^^Thanks, JB. It looks to be in decent shape.

dpIttQr.jpg

Another question: will this engine accept the same OMC fuel line fitting from an early 80s Johnson (70hp)? The seller does not have a tank or line, and I just want to make sure I can get it started before I buy it.

Thanks again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes............

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

So I got it started and brought it home. I just ordered the carb kit, but I have a question about fuel starvation. When the tank is above the carb, it runs great at all speeds. However, when I place the tank on the ground, it starves and dies. Should I just rebuild the fuel pump? I found the kit already, but just want to make sure the symptom points to the pump.

Thanks.

nwcove

Admiral

how far below the motor is the tank when its sitting on the ground? check all fuel line connections on the tank side of the pump.....could be getting air. also try pumping the primer bulb with the tank below the motor.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

how far below the motor is the tank when its sitting on the ground? check all fuel line connections on the tank side of the pump.....could be getting air. also try pumping the primer bulb with the tank below the motor.

I'd say 3 feet. It is an old fuel line and fitting, so air is a definite possibility. There's a small gas leak at the engine end fitting, so, again, this makes sense. It'll keep running if I hit the bulb while the tank is down low, but it'll be very soft when this occurs.

Since I need a new fuel line anyway, I'll give this a shot. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: and if it's being gravity fed, the air problem won't exist, since the pump isn't pulling at that leaky fitting. Just thinking out loud about your advice...thanks again, that totally makes sense now.

nwcove

Admiral

just a piece of advice from personal experience......spend the extra couple of bucks on genuine omc fuel line connectors! or if you want i can give you three, ( only used in a barrel for 5 mins each) aftermarket connectors for free!! ....you just need to find them.....about 50yds due south of me....in the woods! :mad: lol

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Ha! Yeah, OK, I'll spring for the genuine article.

Rick.

Captain

Set your tank on something that approximates the tank height to engine ratio you will experience on your boat. The pump isn't made to lift fuel all the way from the floor or 3 feet you said you were needing. If it works at that distance then all is well and if not a new pump would be a good idea. Glad she runs for you and I think you will be very pleased with it for a long time to come. Once the engine starts to run the bulb should go soft as it is only part of the suction line when the motor is running. Best of luck. Rick.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Rick. Yeah, the tank will be almost exactly level with the engine(s) when I get the boat rigged up.

It hadn't started in over a year, but it sounded and ran great when the cobwebs were knocked out. I'm glad to hear so many good things about this little old engine. Cheers.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

One more question, guys. I've done several google searches about this issue, and it seems like I'm probably just experiencing normal operational heat, but this engine gets HOT. I'm getting mist out of the lower unit ports, so I think water is getting to the powerhead. Is it normal for these engines to instantly vaporize water on the cylinder head and exhaust cover? The other parts of the block seem fine...I can hold my finger there for a few seconds, but the combustion chamber housings are insanely hot. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything. Thanks.

nwcove

Admiral

if you "spritz" water on the head and it vaporizes.....yer running hot!!!!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

if you "spritz" water on the head and it vaporizes.....yer running hot!!!!!

OK, so I'm definitely running hot, then. I've got a new impeller on the way, but is there anything else I can do to make sure the water passages are clear? I'm talking about the area around the base of the plugs...I don't have a point and shoot thermometer, but water is definitely vaporizing when I throw some drops on it, pretty much instantly. Is there a water jacket surrounding the cylinders on these?

Thanks for the reply.

nwcove

Admiral

the head itself is not water cooled, but shouldnt get that hot. is the paint on the head discolored as compared to the rest of the powerhead? id refrain from running it until you replace the impeller. jmo

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

NW, the paint on the head is slightly discolored, but the paint on the exhaust manifold cover is completely gone.

I'll just report back after the impeller install. It seems like it's got to be a circulation problem to me. Thanks again, man. BTW, you guys were right on with the fuel starvation issue. New fitting + normal running level = smooth running.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

NW, the paint on the head is slightly discolored, but the paint on the exhaust manifold cover is completely gone.

I'll just report back after the impeller install. It seems like it's got to be a circulation problem to me. Thanks again, man. BTW, you guys were right on with the fuel starvation issue. New fitting + normal running level = smooth running.

if the rewind starter works fine... don't mess with it

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

One thing I'll add to the possible impeller issue: when I started it today, I noticed what looked to be tiny pieces of either black carbon or plastic in the tank water. It very well could have been pieces of disintegrated impeller, or hardened carbon deposits...not sure.

Cheers guys. Crosbyman, I won't go messing with the recoil.

kbait

Commander

You may have a restriction at the top of the water tube. If you remove the four bolts (#11) found here: Johnson Lower Unit Group - Rigid Models Parts for 1969 4hp 4W69B Outboard Motor
You'll be able to separate the powerhead above from the top of the exhaust housing to investigate further. You may destroy gasket #38, but you can get 'em easily enough.
Before doing the above, pull lower unit and fit a fuel line tube over the lower end of the water tube and try to blow through. Shouldn't be too restricted, but normally is somewhat restricted. Now, feed a length of weedwacker cord up that water tube.. attempting to dislodge any clog at the top of the tube. Now try the blowing up the tube again and compare results. If you can blow air through w/less restriction than before the weedwacker wire, you're likely good to go. If not try the above^.

Good luck!