1957 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric 18 carburetor rebuild

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The manual seems brief in doing a carburetor rebuild. Is there a good step by step guide for rebuilding the carb which has the adjusting high and low speed nozzles? Just want to make sure I do it right and not try to remove something that I shouldn't, etc...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric 18 carburetor rebuild

This will save a bunch of typing! lol

For a smaller hp motor, but really the same thing. Needle tuning instructions at end of article.

5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1954 Carburetor Tune-Up Procedure

I take mine all apart, and soak in Pine Sol overnight. If they are very dirty, a carb dip may be in order. Then wash in hot/soapy water. Blast dry with compressed air. Then blast aerosol carb cleaner through all passages. Wash in hot soapy water again, and blast with compressed air. Should now be spotless and ready to rebuild.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious Chris, lemon pine sol or pine?? haha...the carb is soaking as we speak!! Pulled the flywheel off with a little coaxing and some pb blaster, coils look practically brand new but ordered new ones anyway along with points and condensers. So with a new ignition system and carb rebuild this thing ought to hum!!

nwcove

Admiral

you should also order plug wires and boots if you are going that far with replacing coils that look brand new!! and if your budget isnt gone yet, id pm F_R and look into a timing fixture. ( good timing can be achieved without a fixture, but you wont regret getting one. he makes some very nice tools!)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I use the original Pine :)

It surprisingly works quite well. I do alot of carbs in a year. Soaking my hands in solvent every day is probably not the best for my health. If the carbs are badly varnished, Ill use a chemical dip. Other than that, the Pine Sol works wonders.

Cannot hurt to have spares I guess, but if the coils have been repaced they are likely good for another 50 years. They have rectified the issues they used to have with them.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks Chris, contacted Frank about that timing fixture that you mentioned and may just get one. Wonder if the coil alignment tool isn't a bad idea either.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do want this motor running as good as it can as it will be primary engine for trolling at speeds of 1.5-2.5mph and as a backup in case the main outboard goes down.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well I guess it depends on your budget, how often you would use it, etc... The coils can be set by ensuring the laminations are flush with the mounting boss using your fingernail. Run it up mounting boss, if it catches on the laminations, too far out.

That being said, I have all of Franks tools and love them all. You cannot buy better, I highly reccomend all of them. The timing fixture is the one I use the most. If you work on alot of pressure tanks, the tool for removing the o rings is a must have as well.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was wondering about the float valve and seat. Is there a clip that attaches the seat to the float that allows the seat to lower as the float lowers? I didn't notice one or does the seat just lower via gravity? Didn't notice any clip when I took it apart and don't see one in the manual diagrams, just curious.

nwcove

Admiral

the new kit will come with a clip that loosely attaches the needle to the float arm. the old style kits didnt have it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Along with the clip, the new needles have a black rubber tip. This prevents them from sticking in the seat. Same for the clip, pulls the needle off its seat when the float drops.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried motor out, lot of fuel coming out when choke is closed and sounds like it isn't getting any spark even though entire ignition system has been replaced except for spark plug wires and boots. New coils, condensers, and points, gapped at .020

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked plugs, #1 was black and dry, #2 was wet from fuel

nwcove

Admiral

Spark jumps 1/4 inch ?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have no spark on bottom cylinder. Did you test the spark before torquing down the flywheel? As stated, spark should jump a 1/4" gap on an adjustable tester with a bright blue ZAP!!

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The spark plug leads look kinda rough so I'm going to replace them and the boots tomorrow then will check for spark.

nwcove

Admiral

you should also order plug wires and boots if you are going that far with replacing coils that look brand new!! and if your budget isnt gone yet, id pm F_R and look into a timing fixture. ( good timing can be achieved without a fixture, but you wont regret getting one. he makes some very nice tools!)

did it spit sputter or give a sign of smoke????

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replaced spark plug leads and boots. Getting good spark to #2 bottom cylinder, no spark to #1. Spark was good enough on #2 to start engine. Ran for a couple of minutes then shut her down. All ignition is brand new, points, condensers, coils, leads and boots. Maybe try setting point gap on #1 again?

nwcove

Admiral

Clean points on both and check to see if any wires are rubbing on rotating parts under the flywheel.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked things out again, points are new and clean, nothing rubbing anywhere, maybe even though they are new possibly bad coil or condenser. Not sure what else to look for.