Hard steering

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1991 Rinker vhull 16 foot, it says v170 on the dash, it has 105 chrysler on it. The steering is very hard, when turning it takes some muscle, idk why, i was wondering what is the cause of this an dhow i can fix it, thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Hard steering

What kind of condition is the steering mechanism in? Normally there are grease fittings or other lubricating points that need attention.
If the steering mechanism is older perhaps an upgrade is in order. Proper boat handling, especially docking can be miserable if not impossible with poor steering. Slould easily be able to turn your wheel with one finger. My 22' does not have any form of power steering however I can easily spin the wheel with one finger.

Airshot

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Engine or cable. At the most convenient point, disconnect the steering cable from the engine, preferable right at it. Rock the engine and turn the wheel. Which binds? Clue. If you have a kink in your cable, it's the cable.

Mark

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The steering as far as ik is in good condition, i greases every fitting, definatly not one finger steering, more white knuckle steering. if my motor is disconnected it moves freely, i am pretty sure its in the steering system, it doesnt hang up or anything its just hard to steer.

cr2k

Captain

Your cable is most likely worn and needs replacement. If your helm is good condition (not loose) then you will only need to replace the cable. NOTE: By design boat cables, be it steering or other control, are NOT serviceable items and must be replaced when they get stiff and/or worn.

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your cable is most likely worn and needs replacement. If your helm is good condition (not loose) then you will only need to replace the cable. NOTE: By design boat cables, be it steering or other control, are NOT serviceable items and must be replaced when they get stiff and/or worn.

well, this boat seen very little use over the years, is it possible there is any adjustments?

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, this boat seen very little use over the years, is it possible there is any adjustments?

it dont matter about use. its still 22 years old.. im sure moisture has gotten into it and old grease does thicken up to a firm sludge. so with that sludge all up inside between the cable and the housing, the cable doesnt move freel..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Pull the cable and if it is a single cable it has an outer sheath and an inner conductor. The sheath locks the cable to the helm and engine and the inner conductor does the work. With that in mind, near one end will be a series of numbers, the last will be the length in inches....if it's a Morse-Teleflex which make most of them I'd imagine. Look on here or go to their site and get another.

Just remember this: The cable has a minimum bend radius and that may be specified in instructions supplied with the new cable. Take them at their word and do not bend it tighter. You will kink the inner conductor and render the new cable useless.

Mark

BrianCinAz

Cadet

it dont matter about use. its still 22 years old.. im sure moisture has gotten into it and old grease does thicken up to a firm sludge. so with that sludge all up inside between the cable and the housing, the cable doesnt move freel..

You can remove the cable aand try pouring a penetrating oil like Kroil down in it. Allow it to soak for a while, then pour some more Kroil in it. That will loosen the dried grease and possibly save you the cost of replacement. Dried grease is a common problem out here.

southkogs

Staff member

NOTE: By design boat cables, be it steering or other control, are NOT serviceable items and must be replaced when they get stiff and/or worn.

You can remove the cable aand try pouring a penetrating oil like Kroil down in it. Allow it to soak for a while, then pour some more Kroil in it. That will loosen the dried grease and possibly save you the cost of replacement. Dried grease is a common problem out here.
What you can do and what you should do are kinda' distinct sometimes. You may be able to free it up by dumping stuff down the tube and sloshing it around some ... but you really should replace it. They last a LONG time ... but when they go, you need to let 'em go.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Some times its just on the motor end and a good cleaning and regressing will fix it and if not then it needs replacing. Especially in the motor tube area. Its all ways worthy a try first.