Can I spray paint the inside of boat?

harpjames35

Seaman
Hi everyone. I bought an old boat and I am not looking to get into any kind of "major" projects, but am looking for some ideas on a few "quick-fixes" on the appearance of this boat. I apolstered the wood livewell cover and driver seat, and I am going to buff the outside of the boat with some rubbing compound. But I want to do something with the inside. I was thinking about spray painting the inside floor/sides with a white spray paint. Is this safe for the fiberglass? Will I have problems getting the paint to stick? If I get the go-ahead from you guys, what do you think about the color choice? The outside is a creamish/tannish color and the seats are white. Thanks everybody. Also, if anyone has any other quick fix ideas i could to to "freshen" up this boat, let me know.<br /><br />Pics of the boat before I bought are here: www.pre-wire.com/boat.html<br />(and I've since thrown a black 88hp evinrude on it and i gotten rid of that disgusting trailer) :D

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can I spray paint the inside of boat?

A lot of the older boats were painted inside with the spatter paint you see in auto trunks.

harpjames35

Seaman

What do you mean by spatter paint? I am not familiar with this. Is this sort of like a paint with gravel or some sort of granuels in it? Thanks for your reply

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can provided you clean and prep (maybe sand the glossy areas) the inside. Another sugestion (if you are looking) is some cheep utility carpet or indoor/outdoor carpet.

Link

Rear Admiral

harpjames35:<br /><br />Hi <br />OK here is another idea. We did this with a friends 1969 boat. We ordered marine carpet through Cabela's (or where ever) and picked up some water proof contact cement. We carpeted the sides and floor! Looked like a new when we finished. A light or dark brown would go good with the color of your boat!<br /><br />However the splatter paint mentioned (I think we are talking about the same thing) Is called zolatone and there is a rattel can version of it in the hardware stores. It really covers up a lot of mistakes and looks real good also. I did the inside of my boat with a blue zolatone and am putting in Blue carpet on the floors<br /><br />I don't know what the splatter paint is called but I am going to Lowes in a few mintues and will look.<br />After looking at all the nooks and odd angles on your boat I'm thinking that a spray or roll on would be easier. <br />By the time I get back some one will have suggested roll or paint on pickup bed liner so I'll just say it now :) <br />Here is a site for idea's also<br /><br /> http://www.cabelas.com/ <br /><br />Hey you wanted idea's :D <br /><br />Link

harpjames35

Seaman

I am thinking about using that textured spray paint (I think we are all talking about the same thing). I was thinking about white, but now I am thinking about a cream color. I just don't want it to be too much cream since the outside is that color also. If I decide to use ths textured paint or any other kind of spray paint, will I have to clear coat it?<br /><br />I am trying to stay away from the carpet for a couple reasons. 1- I don't have that much spare time and money (and the little spare time I have I want to be fishing) 2- I don't want to cover the bottom because its old and if it gets soft or cracks, I want to be able to see it right away and not conceal it.

Link

Rear Admiral

Yes I think we are all on the same page.The product<br />they had at Lowes was by Rust Oleum called<br />American Accents Sone Creations for 7.99 for<br />a 12oz can. But I liked the stuff I saw in the auto store better. It has a bigger splatter <br />pattern. Now I dont know the rattel can stuff<br />except that it looks as good as my $60.00 a quart<br />zolatone! :eek: <br />I had a friend (zolatone) put several coats of <br />clear coat on his boat! It looked two inches <br />deep when finished, but was so slick when wet<br />he couldnt walk on it! A quick fix was to buy<br />some of those rubber mats with the holes in them<br />that lock together.<br />One color you might consider that is neutral and<br />goes well with all pait is the grey.. it has white<br />and black specks in it and really looks sharp and clean.<br /><br />Luck to ya on this<br /><br />Link

harpjames35

Seaman

Link- thanks for your help. I think that is the way I am going to go. But with the clear coat issue, I thought about the slickness, but I've also had a concern about the paint chipping or scraping off real easy. Do you think w/o the clear coat it will get a decent amount of wear out of it before this becomes an issue?

Link

Rear Admiral

Wow I'm really out of my league on this. Mabe Bill H: or someone else will jump in with some help since you now have setteled on what way you want to go. Like I said I've never used the rattle can stuff. But have seen it used on car dashes, speaker boxes etc and it looks great.<br />But if it does become a issue you could alway go<br />back to the old stand by with the rubber floor mats. I have been in my friends boat and they are<br />real soft to walk on :) <br /><br />TTYL<br />Link

harpjames35

Seaman

Its ok link. I have found a solution. I just got back from home depot and found some of that texture paint. It said if you are going to use it out doors to waterproof if with a light clear coat. I figure that since its textured the clear coat will be a little textured as well. Im going to do it tomorrow. When I'm done, I'll post some pics. Hopefully they wont be pics of shame :) By the way, how do i post a pic here?

lastout

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry, i had to throw in my 2 cents. i just refinished the inside of my boat, and like you i wanted to do it as in expensively as possible. the textured paint you speak of from the depot, well i looked at it also and was told don't do it, it won't hold up. i ended up buying a gallon of polyurethane (white) from ace hardware approx. 26.00 a gallon. i brushed this on and it turned out as smooth as silk. then to blend and cover the fiberglass faux pas i bought a quart of red devil green polyurethane and dipped a brush into it a "slug" splatters of green onto the white. it turned out like a new boat. one thing though..let it dry for a week before getting on it. the humidity here in fl makes the paint stay soft for awhile. hope this helps. oh, and on the floor i mixed in silica from ace also. this created a non scid finish. only use it on the floor though. good luck!

harpjames35

Seaman

Ok everyone, I decided on Herculiner. I am going to be brave and try it out. I only found it locally in black, but it says it can be painted and I am going to paint it a cream color when dry. I will start on this project tomorrow, but am not sure if it will get completed due to expected rain. When finished I will post a couple pics of before/after of the roll-on liner if someone will tell me how to post pics on here.<br /><br />Thanks again for everyone's help.