Aluminium boat or Inflatable boat for fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I want to buy a small boat mainly for fishing.

Here's my requirement :

-I will fish alone most of the time and sometime with another person.

-It need to be able to plane with 2 person on board.

-I will use it on fresh water only, rivers and lake

-Cheap, do not cost too much and is good for a long time.

-Can go at leat 10 knots

-Fuel efficiency is important

-Light, (I have a car with 800 kg towing capacity) and I will be alone to put it in the water.

-I might bring my dog sometime so it need to be strong enough to resist the claw.

-Maximum 9.9hp because some lake restrict the power to 9.9hp

So I was thinking of 2 choice : an inflatable boat someting like a 10 feet from brig, bombard or zodiac with a 6 to 9.9hp engine or a 14 foot aluminum fishing boat (100kg or less) with a 6hp to 9.9hp engine.

For the inflatable boat, I would prefer to carry it in the trunk of my car and inflate it at the the site

For the aluminimum fishing boat, I would need to buy a trailer to carry it.

Which one would you suggest and why?

at similar engine power, which one will be faster?

Which one will be cheaper?

Thank you

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Aluminium boat or Inflatable boat for fishing?

All my experience in that area is with a 14' aluminum boat with a 9.9 two stroke that sipped fuel. It would plane with two of us in the boat if we were careful about weight distribution and had plenty of room to fish out of. Even used it with manual down riggers, no problem. It was light enough for two of us to carry (no motor and not very far) and towed light as a feather.
I really can't speak of the inflatables but where I fish in Eastern Washington, I think I've only seen one or two out on the water. Perhaps others with inflatable experience can chime in and help you with your decision but I was pretty happy with the basic aluminum boat. I know the aluminum boats seem to last forever with pretty minimal care in fresh water.

BonairII

Commander

Aluminum all the way.

I started out with a zodiac-type boat....they are a pain in the butt IMO.

64osby

Admiral

I would say buy the Tinny, use it for many years. If you ever decide to sell you will be able to sell it for what was invested, for the most part.

It should also have much less maintenance over the useful life. I own a 1963 Tinny.

BonairII

Commander

With tin boats....you can get a much larger/wider boat and still easily tow it with a 4 cyl car or truck.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would think the fishing part of your use would not be good from a Zodiac type boat. I know they are tough, but hooks and fishing in general, are just full of pointy objects and such. I also think it will cost more with a inflatable, and the idea of filling and deflating at the water just wont work well at all. They are big and bulky hunks of soft plastic material. Try lifting one up and putting it in your trunk, by yourself, that and the motor, that just leaked gas all over your back seat, or cut a hole in your new boat in the trunk. Go tin and you will be happy.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

add me to those who would favor an aluminum boat .... have had both and both have +'s and -'s .... all in all, a metal boat with trailer is the way I'd go

Jim

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And if you buy a tin boat, check for leaks VERY CAREFULLY, especially the transom. I would insist on a water test. Don't ask me how I know this! lol

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with aluminum. You said the dog would go with you. Aluminum is claw & fish hook resistent.

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few years ago I bought a roll up inflatable thinking I would just throw it in the back of the truck and inflate at site. Well I sold it quick. was a real pain especially in the hot sun. It was a great little boat but needed a trailer.
The aluminum will also hold its value a lot better. they are more "tippy" than inflatables since inflatables are generally wider and the pontoons keep it very stable but for fishing it doesn't work out as you may think.
Also, depends on condition of where you are boating. Inflatables are better for rough water, can't really sink them if you get swamped.
Take a look at both and decide from there.

shingo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you very much for all the information, I think I will not buy an inflatable, the cost is also much more important with the inflatable.

around 3 time more expensive in the used.

Status
Not open for further replies.