Completed my first bellows job - Alpha 1 gen II

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I have a new found respect for Mercruiser mechanics. I've done my own auto repairs for 20 years including a couple engine and transmission rebuilds and I have to say, this was no picnic.

My goof ups: I when I was pulling the bellhousing off I broke off the barbed end of the oil monitor system bulkhead fitting, I didn't notice that the oil monitor system hose is what was taking all the abuse as I was trying to get the ujoint bellow loose.. Luckily it's was only a $12 mistake. My other goof up, the clocking of the screw on the ujoint bellow hose clamp.. It's in the 7 O Clock position pointing down.. in a left turn the water hose pushes on it.. Not sure how in the hell I am going to change the position of it now that the bellhousing and outdrive are installed. It doesn't seem too sharp and the water hose is really thick but I worry about it wearing through the water hose. Any input or ideas on that.

My tips from all of this, don't rush, go by the manual, and put the end of the new water hose in boiling hot water before attempting to push it onto the water tube at the transom assembly!

Also, I know for sure that these were the original bellows on this boat and that the outdrive had never before been removed, I am the second owner, my father was the first owner, it's a 1998, trailered, always garage stored with the drive down, 260hrs.. There was only minor checking on all 3 bellows, no cracks, the gimbal bearing was as smooth as butter and the ujoints looked like brand new. I almost felt silly for for doing the first bellows job on this 15 year old boat.. better safe than sorry though. :D

I still need to adjust the trim senders, I just didn't get to that yet because with the tongue of the trailer cranked all the way down I still can't get the outdrive to the full "in" position.. it's a low trailer, i'll need to jack up the rear to do it. lol.

kaspern83

Cadet
Re: Completed my first bellows job - Alpha 1 gen II

Good Job! Im not looking forward to when my boat needs bellows replaced.