EFI or Carb???

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im looking into getting a Holly efi... The only reason is because I had a Holly carb on the boat before the rebuild it ran ok but not great... Now I rebuilt the motor fixed issues in the motor and I can get it to run ok but now its sucking gas like nothing... 24gal in 4 hrs normally 12 gal in 4 hrs.... Then I switched to the edelbrock now I am having issues with the boat starting and staying running cold once I get it running its fine but still a little rough on idle to low rpm.. Motor since rebuild has 12hrs below 3000 rpm with the occasional full throttle...

Holley Performance Products Marine Pro-Jection Throttle Body Injection?700-21

I have a 1994 4.3 omc... Do you guys suggest getting it or just keep on trying to tune the carb??? Is this a good efi to be putting in the boat??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: EFI or Carb???

just tune your carb.

also, check your plugs to see if your running rich.

you can not simply buy an off the shelf carb and drop it on and call it a day. the carb needs to be calibrated to your setup.

fuel economy is not something that to expect out of a boat. changing load conditions effect your fuel usage.

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not looking to get good hours on the boat but 4hrs for 25gal is a lil excessive in my own opinion... I'm going to keep trying to get the carb to run as best as I can but I don't know much more I can do I'm in a bind..

Bondo

Staff member

Im looking into getting a Holly efi... The only reason is because I had a Holly carb on the boat before the rebuild it ran ok but not great... Now I rebuilt the motor fixed issues in the motor and I can get it to run ok but now its sucking gas like nothing... 24gal in 4 hrs normally 12 gal in 4 hrs.... Then I switched to the edelbrock now I am having issues with the boat starting and staying running cold once I get it running its fine but still a little rough on idle to low rpm.. Motor since rebuild has 12hrs below 3000 rpm with the occasional full throttle...

Holley Performance Products Marine Pro-Jection Throttle Body Injection*700-21

I have a 1994 4.3 omc... Do you guys suggest getting it or just keep on trying to tune the carb??? Is this a good efi to be putting in the boat??
I'm not looking to get good hours on the boat but 4hrs for 25gal is a lil excessive in my own opinion... I'm going to keep trying to get the carb to run as best as I can but I don't know much more I can do I'm in a bind..

Ayuh,.... I donno 'bout the Holley, but it sounds like yer Edlebrock just needs abit of Tunin', 'n fix the Choke....

The price of the Efi vs. a carbed motor makes the money savin's, Extremely long termed,...
If the carb is Properly Tuned...

If ya understand motors, 'n carbs, at All,... this link will teach ya how to tune yer Carb,...

I used that manual to tune my Merc/ Weber carb, which is a carbon copy of the Edlebrock,...
I used the Edlebrock Tuning Kit,...

My fuel burn, in boatin' terms is Minimal,...
If I run a mile or so, 'n troll, it don't burn much at all...
If I go out, 'n drag kids on toys, she's burn a pretty fair amount,....

How fast yer ya runnin' for those 4 hours,..??

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3000 or lower still breaking in the motor

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That TBI fuel injection will have no affect on your mileage or power compared to a carb. The only benefit will be starting so that you don't have to pump the throttle but that is it. To me, it adds complexity for close to zero benefit.

vipertech

Seaman

Can you swap over a manifold and wiring off a fuel injected car/truck from a junk yard or would that cause problems with it being on a boat? Im asking cause I was thinking of doing this

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to keep on trying to tune it do you think I should put a vacuum valve on the manifold to tune the carb??

JasonGS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has to be marine its one of those things you can't take off a car.. USCG approved..

Bondo

Staff member

Im going to keep on trying to tune it do you think I should put a vacuum valve on the manifold to tune the carb??

Read the link I posted for ya....