Battery switch

Summerschool

Recruit
I have a 2012 Yamaha 4 stroke 70 hp with a 2 battery system and switch. HoW quickly can you cook a stater, voltage regulator by turning off bat switch while engine is running? Just asking?

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Battery switch

You will blow the diodes in the regulator. Will not damage the stator.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it only takes like a microsecond to blow something. Having said that I'm talking older motors like mine. Its possible that a new motor like yours might have some kind of internal protection for that. Though i wouldn't try it and see.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it only takes like a microsecond to blow something. Having said that I'm talking older motors like mine. Its possible that a new motor like yours might have some kind of internal protection for that. Though i wouldn't try it and see.

Unless of course you want to take one for the team and report back?...:lol:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check your voltage at the battery after starting, if there's no rise you know you screwed up ... :faint2:

Summerschool

Recruit

Check your voltage at the battery after starting, if there's no rise you know you screwed up ... :faint2:

Copy all it's charging fine. The old boat switched down to go thru both and on to 2. This one switches up. Don't think I did it but.......I hate getting old.