Adding a skeg to an Intex Seahawk 2?

Aghartha

Recruit
Hi all,

I recently got a little Intex Seahawk 2 and it's been pretty useful for fishing the local lakes and ponds, especially since my current boat hauler is a Civic or dirt bike. But "tracking" isn't a word it understands. Since I plan on keeping the boat for as many seasons as possible, would it be worth adding some Sea Eagle skegs to it? Two for $20 seems reasonable, and they glue on so I assume I could mount them in a place that still allows me to fold the boat up while still being functional skegs... right?

I do plan on adding a trolling motor soon, not sure if that changes things.

mansters

Cadet
Re: Adding a skeg to an Intex Seahawk 2?

Hi all,

I recently got a little Intex Seahawk 2 and it's been pretty useful for fishing the local lakes and ponds, especially since my current boat hauler is a Civic or dirt bike. But "tracking" isn't a word it understands. Since I plan on keeping the boat for as many seasons as possible, would it be worth adding some Sea Eagle skegs to it? Two for $20 seems reasonable, and they glue on so I assume I could mount them in a place that still allows me to fold the boat up while still being functional skegs... right?

I do plan on adding a trolling motor soon, not sure if that changes things.

for 20 bucks you can go wrong, i just got my first inflatable, and slowly things start to add up
You could probably fit one of those Camo Boot covers they sell on for the sevylor

Aghartha

Recruit

That was gonna be my next question! If they fit I'd love to snag one, but I'm also open to making one for myself if I found a suitable material.

Do they change how the boat handles? I wouldn't imagine so since it would have an even flatter profile

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice

I've actually implemented bigger skegs for my sea eafle inflatable kayak because the tracking was nearly nonexistent.. and i did it with pvc, and oars from an intex mariner, believe it or not..

i actually own both the sea eagle and the mariner..and ive also considered making a "boot" cover for the mariner... ive gone as far as buying the materials for it, but have not had enoug time to invest in the project.. but the fabric to get is a waterproof, mildew-resistant canvas/pvc combo they sell at walmart... ill have to remember the name and post in the future... but ir is essentially a canvas material on one side and a pvc backing on the other and at roughly $6 a square yard, it is not a bad deal at all... i would assume though that it would substantially increase drag and likely affect tracking.. but that will also depend on how you construct it.. whether you decide to make completely sealed or add drain holes, etc... hope this helps.. i will post a more detailed list of materials including names and (if possible) prices... some of it was bought over a year ago :)

I will post some pics of the skeg setup for the sea eagle... ( which may possibly be retrofitted for other inflatables too )