Gas/Oil Mixture

Petey742

Cadet
Just bought a used Pro Craft. I know the gas/oil mixture is 50:1. Is it better just to pull my boat up to a pump and fill it up and add the oil or to add the oil first or just to premix it in a bigger can and fuel up my boat that way?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas/Oil Mixture

Welcome to iboats Petey.

Yes.

Any modern tcw3 oil will readily mix throughout the gas in a few minutes.
It is one of the requirements of being tcw3 rated.
Some people will tell you to premix in a separate can, but it really is not necessary.
Put it in first or last, but get the correct amount of oil.

Easy to figure out no matter how much gas is involved, 2.6 ounces of oil per gallon of gas.

But not knowing how much gas you may put in, perhaps the safest method is to put in half of the anticipated oil, add the gas, then calculate and top off with oil to bring you to the 50:1 ratio.

It would really suck to fill the tank with gas, and not have enough room to add the required amount of oil.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

I always mix my boats 50:1 Always use marine oil obviously.
I just put some gas in, (half the anticipated amount) then add
3/4 the anticipated amount of oil.
This way even if you mis calculate and it fills the ratio will be more oil rich then not.
Nothing will explode a w.o.t two cycle faster then a lean oil mixture...better safe then sorry !

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

P.s, I always carry a spare set of plugs n wrench in case they foul from incorrect mixture (i store them in glove box)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I always put in a bit of oil then some gas. Then more oil and then gas.
It's better to have a bit more oil than be short.
When I get close to full I put it in in 4oz.oil then 3 gal shots.
Oil and then gas.
It will mix itself to some extent.
But if the tank is empty and you just fill it with gas and then oil. You might get straight gas in the first start up.

Petey742

Cadet

Thanks for all the answers. It helps a lot. I was worried that if I just pour the oil in in the hole it would would stay in the hose and wouldn't make its way to the tank very quickly. It makes sense though to put part of the gas in and then some oil and the rest gas. I guess the gas would help wash out the oil that was left in the hose. Once again, thanks for the help. I look forward to having more suggestions to my problems that arise.