How to paint john boat

Lakeview

Cadet
I have a 14' alum john boat that i am fixing up.<br />I would like to put a paint job on. Nothing fancy just duck blind green. It has an old paint job(looks like spray paint) that is thinning, but not pealing or flaking. This paint job does not need to look good, but I want it to last for a long time and to help prevent rivet leaks. What kind of prep,prime& paint do I need. How do I apply them and where do I find these materials. I don't want to spend a ton of money or time. Is there something that will last that I can justgo over the old paint with. - Thanks!!!

tmac58star

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to paint john boat

Hit it with some sandpaper, clean and dry it real good then hit it Walmart camouflage or your choice of colors, then some clear coat if you want a sheen. If not, leave it dull coated. Total cost, including tasty beverages, less than $25 and your time.

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the old finish is still bonding you can follow timsters cure, but if it is flaking anywhere you should strip the old finish with "aircraft" chemical stripper. Some automotive strippers will damage aluminum, and this type is designed for alum aircraft. Once the old paint is removed you can buy a self etching primer that will adhere to the bare aluminum. Then you can top coat with a good marine paint. The stripper will run about $25-30, the self etching primer can be bought in fizzy cans, and the paint...where ever you can find a deal. All of these items can be bought an an automotive body shop supply store. Good luck, and be carefull if you end up stripping the boat, it a messy job, but water will neturalize the chemical in the stripper if you get any on yourself.

D

DJ

Lakeview,<br /><br />If you go down to bare aluminum, you must prime it with zinc chromate paint.<br /><br />Any top coat, after that is OK.<br /><br />By the way, before you coat it with zinc chromate, wash it first with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water.<br /><br />Zinc chromate is available here.<br /><br />www.westmarine.com