1986 Bayliner Capri 1400 (14') NEED HELP! INTERIOR WORK SEATS CARPET ETC.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Starting my winter project I just picked up, 1986 bayliner capri 14'
Bowrider.
It has carpet on floor and part way up walls. I'm looking for the cheapest way to replace it...
Anyone know of a cheap place to find It? I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this, just trying to clean it up.

Also, I am looking for cheapest vinyl to re cover my bow seats and all side panels.

I'm stumped in how to attach the side panels after they are done.
Obviously I dont wanna screw through the front of new uphulstery...whats a good way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance, happy boating!

rjh8115

Cadet
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri 1400 (14') NEED HELP! INTERIOR WORK SEATS CARPET ETC.

I had a 16' Bayliner Capri (1986) and spent about $1000 on the interior refurb. Most do the money was spent on replacing the lounge seats. These were made by Wise and fit right into the Bayliner seat boxes. To fix the other seat cushions, I replaced the plywood as required and recovered the seats using marine vinyl from a fabric store. I ordered a 16' run of carpet and used the old carpet as a template. Made the boat look half it's age.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for response!
Now, if you got 16ft of carpet , isnt it only one yard wide? That doesn't seem like enough.
Like I said my boat had carpet running up the sides about a ft and a half.
Also, $1000!!!! Thats way more then I plan to spend. You did it yourself?
How much were the materials?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

go to Home depot and go to the carpet aisle. Find the cheapest outdoor carpet they have, they should have it in blue or gray. Costs about $9 a running foot at 12' wide, it's as cheap as you'll find. A couple of cans of spray adhesive will work to hold it down. You should be able to carpet the boat for around $75.

That cheap carpet is what's on top of our houseboat, what was exposed to daily sun lasted 4 years before getting bad, under the canopy is almost 7 years old, and while its showing its age it's still doing the job...

Vinyl-- someone else will have to help out with that one...

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Bottom line, MARINE grade materials are not cheap. You can try using something cheap from the local lumber yard, but it woun't last at all.

Yes I'm aware of that, I wouldn't try throwing any ol fabric on there

Joanns fabric locally sells marine vinyl for my seats they said 54" wide, by however long I need. $22 per linear yd, (which to my knowledge is 54"x36"? Correct me of I'm wrong)

Also found carpet advertised as
"20 oz Cut Pile 8 Foot Wide Rubber Backing $6.99 Lin. Ft."

If its 8ft wide,how do you charge by lin. Ft.?
I figured (guessing without measuring) I may need 12 yds of carpet
& about the same amount of vinyl

I'm not doing the main three seats just the side panels, and two bow cushions.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

go to Home depot and go to the carpet aisle. Find the cheapest outdoor carpet they have, they should have it in blue or gray. Costs about $9 a running foot at 12' wide, it's as cheap as you'll find. A couple of cans of spray adhesive will work to hold it down. You should be able to carpet the boat for around $75.

That cheap carpet is what's on top of our houseboat, what was exposed to daily sun lasted 4 years before getting bad, under the canopy is almost 7 years old, and while its showing its age it's still doing the job...

Vinyl-- someone else will have to help out with that one...

Honestly thats about what I wanna spend lol
I am on a budget on this lil bayliner. I probably won't have it longer then a year, so I dont mind if it does not last 20yrs. As long as it looks good, and still will when I sell it.
So the home depot stuff it is I guess !

rjh8115

Cadet

Thanks for response!
Now, if you got 16ft of carpet , isnt it only one yard wide? That doesn't seem like enough.
Like I said my boat had carpet running up the sides about a ft and a half.
Also, $1000!!!! Thats way more then I plan to spend. You did it yourself?
How much were the materials?

The $1000 was for materials. I did all the work myself. The carpet was wide enough to cover the floor and partially up the sides.

Friscoboater

Captain

The harsh reality is that boating is expensive and there is no cheap fix. I really hope that you do not just band aid this and then sell it on to a unsuspecting buyer.

We all will recommend here to use proper marine parts and do it right. Doing it the cheap way rubs the guys the wrong way :)

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

The harsh reality is that boating is expensive and there is no cheap fix. I really hope that you do not just band aid this and then sell it on to a unsuspecting buyer.

We all will recommend here to use proper marine parts and do it right. Doing it the cheap way rubs the guys the wrong way :)

ok, so instead of saying cheap i guess i meant "cheapest".....And no i am not "band aiding it" to sell off.
the boat is in good shape just showing signs of age (carpet viynl etc) so i wanna re-do it without blowing way more money then its even worth.
If and when i do sell it, i will tell them exactly what and how i did things to it...(not hiding anything) if they dont wanna buy it, then ill keep on boatin til she blows!
I see about half the posters on here are looking for cheap/low cost/least money ways to do things.
Maybe its to get permission to spend from the ol' lady:laugh:

Friscoboater

Captain

:) you will also see that the replays say that you should do it right, not the the cheapest.