Struggling getting 1973 Evinrude 6hp running

ncpi

Seaman
I really need some expert advise. I picked up a 6hp Evinrude and do not know the history. I tried to start it but it would not start when I first tried it.

Ruling out a couple things. I am using the same tank and tank-to-engine fuel line (and fuel) as I tested on a 1975 6hp Johnson which runs fine. It does seem to have good compression on each cylinder when I pull it through, but I don't have a compression tester.

Here's what I did:
1. There was only intermittent spark on #1 and no spark on #2. Cleaned and set the points to .020 and checked the spark plug gap at .030. Have good spark now (testing with spark plugs, I just can't see my spark plug tester well enough when I pull the rope and the engine moves).

2. checked the fuel pump output and I get squirts when I pull the engine through with the rope. I think the fuel pump is OK.

3. Was able to test run the engine, but the only way I could keep it running was to have the choke all the way out even after it warmed up...or continuously pump the fuel bulb. Figured I have an air leak somewhere and it was going lean or I had a partial blockage in the carb. Note that the carb on this engine at some point had been replaced with a version that had an adjustable high speed needle and it had a funky fuel inlet...so I didn't really trust the carb. I did verify that the engine was pumping water when it did run.

4. Picked up a used carb from a local fellow. Cleaned out the carb with carb cleaner, made sure the passages seemed clear and used a rebuild kit to put new gaskets and a new float in. The float needle looked good so I did not replace the float needle and needle seat. I used the top secret file to adjust the float (level) and checked to make sure I could blow air into the fuel inlet when the carb was upright and couldn't blow air when the carb was upside down. Put the "new" carb back on the engine with a new gasket and new fuel lines from the inlet to the pump and from the pump to the carb. Also put clamps on the fuel lines.

5. Went to test run the engine and couldn't really get it to run more than about 5 secs. It seemed to get flooded and had to wait to actually get it to fire, but had a hard time repeating that even when I pulled a plug to clear it. I pulled and pulled...not much luck.

I can't be sure I rebuilt the carb perfectly, but it seemed pretty simple. Not sure where to go from here and would recommend suggestions.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Struggling getting 1973 Evinrude 6hp running

Assuming that you do indeed have good compression and spark that will jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like spark........

Your problem is with the carburetor but without being there of course, I have no idea what..... possible clogged high speed jet located in the bottom center of the float chamber, possible misadjusted needle valve, etc.