1996 Mariner 15hp same as Mercury (parts interchangable?)

redfishsc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm considering buying a 1996 Mariner 15hp. Are these exactly the same as the Mercs, other than the cowl?

My main consideration is reliability.

Also, if you had the chance to buy the 1996 Mariner, or a 1978 Evinrude/Johnson (for a few dollars less), of similar HP and weight, which would you consider more reliable? It seems that a lot of parts become obsolete rather quickly with these motors, and the old OMC's had a lot of metal parts that are now just brittle plastic junk (throttle linkages, etc).

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 Mariner 15hp same as Mercury (parts interchangable?)

I happen to have one in a mariner brand and to my knowledge the parts are the same, and so far about all of the parts are still available directly from Mercury and while a lot of parts are still around for OMC and a lot of after markets parts are still being made. Its only a matter of time.

redfishsc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah my 6hp Johnson (86) is dying the death of obsolete parts, but the main problem is all these @#$%@T#$% plastic parts that get brittle and crack. Older Johnsons have far fewer plastic parts. My 86 has a plastic top to the carb that is cracked, and it's obsolete. Now I'm having some hesitation issues (a different thread) that I fear is air leaking through, despite being sealed with plastic spec epoxy over the crack.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Sadly a lot are having those problems, in my opinion OMC made some of the best motors ever made, but their out of business so parts to keep them going are getting hard to find, so a newer motor is simply easier.

redfishsc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm finding a lot of obsolete parts for mid-90's Tohatsus and Nissans as well. Surprisingly.