1999 4.3 liter A1 GennII drive steering issues

jetreaux

Recruit
Put boat in water to test run for this season, and steering was extremely difficult. After googling Mercruiser steering problems, I have done the following:

Removed steering cable pin past control valve and steering wheel turns very easily, held a screwdriver in cable and applied resistance and cable still moved freely.

With out drive still connected to power steering piston, I pushed the drive all the way Starboard (right turn) and the unit moved easy, tried to move the unit port (left turn) and the unit did not want to move, asked my son to try while i observed the piston and it appears that the piston was compressing the fluid and not allowing the unit to move. I reattached the steering cable and with considerable effort got the unit to turn fully in both directions. Disconnected it and tried again, when pushing it to the left it wants to return to the right. My power steering unit is the type without the quick connect hoses. Are there any other tests i can perform to be sure the the unit is bad before replacing it? Or what else can it be? Fluid in power steering pump is full, not dirty, belt is tight and pump is not making ANY noise. Steering is difficult with boat not running, idling, and at 2000 plus RPMS. Did I leave anything out for anyone to help?

Boat is 1999 Trophy 2052, 4.3 liter, A1GenII drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1999 4.3 liter A1 GennII drive steering issues

Ayuh,.... The most common cause of yer issue is the cable corrodin' to the inside of the aluminum mountin' tube....

Pull it out, 'n Check it...

jetreaux

Recruit

Did that this morning, no corrosion, no dried or caked up grease, lightly lubricated and reinstalled, no change from original post.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral

trying to turn the drive by hand from the outside while the ps actuator hoses are still connected is usually difficult to impossible to do in one direction, i.e. you usually can push it one way but not the other

you can try disconnecting the steering arm from the actuator and see how easily the drive moves but that is rarely the issue

have you verified the pump is actually turning/pumping??

if so, you can pressure test the pump

one other thring to try is with the steering cable connected, check the bend(s) in it near the transom and elsewhere, then disconnect it and duplicate the bend(s) and see how stiff/easy it moves

jetreaux

Recruit

OK i will give that a try, thanks for the feedback.

Will not be able to answer, if successful, till next weekend, boat at camp over hundred miles away!

Thanks