Hovercraft; Neoteric Racer Rebuild

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Today I purchased a hovercraft made by Neoteric for $100. It needs a lot of fiberglass work and I will have to make the skirt by hand as they are no longer available. The engine turns over good and seems to have decent compresion. It is far from good shape but all the componets seem in repariable or workable order. I have wanted a project boat to do up this winter and have always wanted a hovercraft. I will post some pictures soon and then keep this updated as needed. I have done a search and turn up little info on them here so this is more or less a journal for anyone who wants to follow the progress. besides they are registered as watercraft and most of the work will be common to boat glassing. More soon.
005585.jpg
<br />
005586.jpg

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Hovercraft; Neoteric Racer Rebuild

This ought to be interesting, I for one will be following your progress. I might want to try it on day.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

This will definately be cool. Send plenty o pics...

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Ok first day blast of energy, got her moved to the garage and proceeded with teardown. Typical good news bad news type deal. Removed engine steering and drilled the rivets holding upper hull to lower hull. proabably 200 of them only to find that they are also epoxyed together. :( but on the upside there were 36 new skirt sections in the hull so I now have pattern's and only about 30 to make from scratch. :) In the first pic you can see parts everywhere and some you cannot see. In the second are several of the holes that will need repaired, there are also some underneath and some interior cracks but all seem accesable with varying degrees of dificulty. I have contacted the manufacturer and hoping for some guidence on there repair recomondations, wait and see what they say. If I could only keep up this first day pace she would be ready to fly in a few days however a few more months seems more likley!<br />
005587.jpg
<br /><br />
005588.jpg

flashback

Captain

neumanns, sounds like fun... check out the neoteric web site at hover craft the hover garage section may be of some help... good luck ..........

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Flashback...Thanks for the info, Neoteric is a first class opperation! I have had some contact with them in the past and if you click on the contact us page they also have a link to there own forum where they will guide me through my restoration where the answers will be stored for future referance by any who care to look.<br /><br /> I also spoke by phone with the Owner Mr. Fitzgerald this morning and proabaaly took more of his time than he could spare however he has time for someone like me trying to bring one of there discontinued models to life. This says a lot about the company as they stand little to gain except a great reputation. I would recommend them to anyone who will listen...First class all the way. <br /><br />More progress today and more time tomarrow however now I'm down to the tedious work that shows little progress in the pics but must be done.

gonfishn

Commander

Hmmmmm....All kind of possibilities with this one John. I'm a thinkn your going to try and sneak up on gator eyes since other approaches Haven't been successful. <br /><br />Have your figured on how to put fish finder on yet? Looks like next June when we hook up you will have me out with you on this project...I can see it now...Ad will read air fishn with Neaummans...lol. Good luck and keep me posted..

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! Laid my first glass this am. I had read up and prepared the best I could and tackeled the first crack under the hull (Less visable). It is as messy as everbody says, and I only got half of what I wanted to do before the resin set up. But It looks decent and I am pleased but its going to take more brushes pans etc than I figured because i will not be doing as big of section at a time. At least there cheap. Gonfishn... "flying fish" or is it "fly fishing". I doubt I will mount a fishfinder on it but it should lead to some fine riverfishing and thin ice oppertunity as I hear first ice and Ice out are supposed to be excellent fising time just normally inaccesable due to safty concerns.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I dont see the pictures, are they showing for everyone else?<br /><br /> :confused: :confused: :confused:

bubbakat

Captain

neumans the bigger the mixing bowel you mix in the longer it takes to set up<br /><br />after about three tries you finally say to yourself i'm not going to need that much but it will come in line

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bubbakat I think you've got that reversed or maybe we're thinking different products. Most of the resins I've worked with will set up faster if you mix a larger batch. The chemical reaction generates its own heat and a larger batch sets itself off faster because it makes more heat. When I want to slow things down, I put all the ingredients in a cool place (the fridge if I'm allowed). The resin will set up slower in the bucket but warms up to room temp quickly when it is spread out into the glass. If I'm in a hurry this works especially well because I can mix up a "hot" batch and still get a decent pot life.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I think your both on the same track, larger bowl less mass = less heat. Basicaly same effect as refrigeration just to a lesser extent. Now I have a question, If you use less "hardner" to slow the reaction does it affect the final Quality?

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know about all products but if you are using polyester resin there is a huge range in the amount of catalyst to use depending on the temp. I believe that you can safely use the amount of catalyst specified for the highest heat/least catalyst and it will eventually cure. If it doesn't seem to be curing fast enough you can always put a heater on it. I don't know if Fiber-Tek sells in your area but I've found them to be really good (and cheap too).

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

mixing bowel?<br /><br />isnt that later on, when the skirt goes POP!!! and you get that certain sinking feeling ... LOL<br /><br />Seriously, I think its going to be a ball of fun, you could prolly make a fortune charging 20 bucks for us yahoos to run it around for fifteen minutes at an iboats convention, lol<br /><br />and a bargain at that, how often do you get to fly something that will only get you wet or sore if it crashes?<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />I still cant SEE the danged thing, couldya send some pics to CastawayRayZ@aol.com? thanks if ya do! :cool:

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Castaway... I can't see the pics either. I think it's got something to do with the public/private settings that neumanns got set in Yahoo!<br /><br /> flashback's link gives you an idea of what these things are like.<br /><br />
captain.gif

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Can anyone else see them. The pics link fine for me but i went to yahoo to check for setting's and could not find them, any help. Castaway are you a member of chat, the photos are hosted there under jln3297, if not I will email them latter.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Well The lower hull is now done and half of the interior hull is done. Unfortanatly there is considerable work to be completed on the topside, and this will include much more sanding to remove gelcoat plus some buildup work where some chunks are gone. It has been fun working on the project but I havent had my boat out in a week and it is time for some boating fun before I lay into the nasty grinding. Have a Great weekend!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I saw, I saw, very cool neumanns!<br /><br />think that guy ya piissed off will sell ya a marooned anchor?<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

&^%$##@'*...Left the project alone for a few days and and a confounded mouse decided to store some sunflower seeds in the exposed manifold of the engine. I pulled the plugs to have a look-see and sure enoufgh I have seeds in the cylinder. I would like to say that I was going to tear it down anyways but I wasnt. Guess I am now!<br /><br />Have completed the Interior hull repairs and it is curing as I update this. I have done most of the grinding and sanding of 2 of the topside repairs (the smaller holes)& when I get the nerve will start those repairs. <br /><br />Does anyone know where I adjust the settings in yahoo so all can see the photos? Seems some of you are having trouble with them appearing- Ray what did you have to do to see them.<br /><br />Here is the 2 of the topside prep photos for your critic...<br /><br />
005589.jpg
<br /><br />
005590.jpg