57 Fisherman

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all.
I have just acquired a 57 5.5fisherman(#5514).Compression checks out, all ignition checks out,only thing is it's rigged for dual line pressure system and I want to change it to single line.I know this entails drilling to install a nipple for the pump vacuum but i have never done one of these and there does not seem to be a lot of room to fit a pump If anyone has ideas i would be grateful to hear them.
Geoff69a1.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 57 Fisherman

There has been quite a few threads lately on this on this forum. Lots of reading there.

With respect to your 5.5, you cannot drill the bypass cover as it is not removable. You must modify the intake manifold and then hook the pulse line from your pump to the existing barb that ran the pressure tank. I would reccomend a small Briggs pump for you, they fit anywhere.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.I found a complete "how to do it" on outboard boat and motor repair.com.This one involves a mikuni pump but I'm sure the Briggs does the same thing.All I have to do now is get one.
Thanks again, geoff69a1.

nwcove

Admiral

the disadvantage of using the rectangular mikuni on a 5.5 conversion is the location of the pulse nipple. it makes doing a tidy job a bit of a chore. the round b&s pump solves that problem but none of the ones ive seen are rebuildable like the rectangular mikuni. heres a couple of pics of a side mount....and i think hightrim has done a tidy rear mount on a 5.5 also. (just cant stand a pump dangling by cable ties!!) DSCF1737.jpgDSCF1740.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This is not a 5.5hp but you get the idea of a side mount

001-15.jpg

Here is one example of a rear mount setup

003-12.jpg

002-16.jpg

001-21.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

gotto say....i like that rear mount option for the 5.5's. the bulge at the rear of the cowl is a space that can be easily utilized!!!