Assistance in testing Safety Switch on motor

Aussie Rob

Cadet
Hi

I recently took my old 1973 65Hp (65ESL73R) out to tune on the water and by having to screw the idle screw almost entirely forward to get it to idle. the motor seemed at the time to stall, but then would refuse to restart.

at first I thought the neutral safety switch in the remote control box had failed.

however today - I pulled the remote control box off (after having to drill all the corroded screws) to find the neutral switch was operating fine.

so i then focused on the engine. I traced the problem to what appeared to be the starter solinoide as I was getting voltage across the points at key turn, and the unit would turn over at hot wire.

so I changed the solinoide - still no luck..

so in traced the wiring further and found that the wiring went through a safety switch part no. 0386056 whish moves in and out with the forward movement of the arm going to the spark advance link.

anyway - when I check the resistance of this at a certain point this seems to have an "open" at a point in its travel. is this normal?

Because what I was oringinally experiencing was the engine would bog when I used to push forward (at what i thought was carby pick-up) and I thought it was timing - now im starting to wonder that the motor was in fact being electrically stalled and by flicking the choke It enabled me to puch though the contact "open" point and get electrical continuity...

thoughts PLEASE???

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Assistance in testing Safety Switch on motor

First, check the compression on it. Then make sure your spark will jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester. If the mtr turns over when the control handle is in neutral, there's nothing wrong with the neutral safety switch.