1972 Evinrude 25 hp oil from gearcase water drain holes???? Help!

VaMark

Recruit
Hey folk! Newbie here, I have owned a couple old larger hp outboards in the past but no smaller sizes. I recently purchased a 1972 Evinrude 25 hp short shaft that has been setting for a couple years, the motor is in really good original condition. It started right up and pumps water good in the test barrel, but after running it for a couple minutes I took it out of the barrel and noticed a good bit of oil along with the water draining from the gearcase water drain holes. I don't think this is normal, any ideas on what I should look for??? I drained the oil from the gearcase and it was not milky and did not have water in it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Mark

Attachments

• 25hpoiltop.jpg
    25hpoiltop.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 25hpoilbot.jpg
    25hpoilbot.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 25 hp oil from gearcase water drain holes???? Help!

Could be unburned fuel/oil from the p/h. Put in on the boat, run the heck out of it and then recheck the g/c oil.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

2 strokes running in a barrel will produce this kind of crud. The oil looks like gear oil though. If there is no water in the GC oil then I would consider it normal exhaust. In the barrel there is no place for the unburnt gas/oil to go except into the barrel water and the longer you run in a barrel the cruder it will get. Like boobie said, run it for a while in the lake and then check the gear oil.

lindy46

Captain

As Boobie says, probably just unburnt fuel/oil. Perfectly normal.