Search for test wheel has hopefully ended

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I've all but given-up on trying to find the correct test wheel for my '83 35Hp Evinrude. From calls to various shops in my area to vague postings on craigslist across the country...all ending in disappointment.

And just when I had given-up all hope, my automatic fleabay search turned-up an "Evinrude test prop" however it was listed for 20,25 and 30hp engines.

There isn't a cast ID on the prop however the seller gave me some dimensions and they fit those listed in my service manual. Worst-case I'm out 50 bucks. :lol:

Time will tell what the tach reads (hopefully 5300!) when I trailer it to the closest launch. So far so good, specs match, lines-up with the LU housing & correct displacement along the prop shaft:

Rude Test Prop 20130306 _MG_0583.jpg

Rude Test Prop 20130306 _MG_0584.jpg

Rude Test Prop 20130306 _MG_0580.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Search for test wheel has hopefully ended

You can also make a test wheel out of an old prop by cutting off the tips of the blades to dial in the rpm you want. OMC and Merc did this for years. I made one for a Yamaha at the last place I worked at.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

You can also make a test wheel out of an old prop by cutting off the tips of the blades to dial in the rpm you want. OMC and Merc did this for years. I made one for a Yamaha at the last place I worked at.

Hey boobie, can you be more specific as to how much one would need to cut off for a 25 hp rude?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's a lengthly process. I used to take 1/4" off each blade and the try it in either a test tank or the lake having a tach. When the rpm would almost reach the spec you wanted, you'd cut a little less off.