Swamp boat

Wiltrout88

Recruit
How's it going I live in NJ and I am right by the meadowlands marshes. I live less then a block away and have fished there since I was 10 I am now 24 and want to get a little boat to go out on there but are a lot of shallow areas so wasn't sure if a canoe or row boat or even a kayak would be ok being that I may need tO jump out from time to time if get stuck and opinions on what kind would be a good idea, thank you

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Swamp boat

Kayaks will go in the shallowest of water. They do not hold very much gear. Canoes hold more, but need a bit more water. Rowboats hold even more, but need much more water.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a job for a solo canoe.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Hold on there.

First, wearing waders in a tippy boat is not for everyone (although I wear hip boots in a canoe in the marsh myself). You may be crossing or travelling over deep or open water at times. You better know your survival techniques for that.

Second, there are lots of boats for getting around in skinny water. For fishing, I think you want a boat you can move around in, rather then one you wear. Kayak fishing is kind of a specialty; most kayak fishermen use other boats as well.

if you are solo, a great small boat is a 12' jon. You can paddle, pole, walk and motor it, carry your gear, a cooler for the fish, and move around some.

if you might have company, look at a 14' wide body jon.

or any 12-14' carolina skiff.

For old wooden boats, 12-14' flat bottom row boat, or better if you can find one, a chincoteaque scow design.

Kayak--get a two man open cockpit (sit inside) so you have some room

Canoe--although I use a 13' solo to jump shoot ducks, a 17' is way better for your use. if you can find one, or afford new, get a Gheenoe, a great wide-body square back canoe.

My experience? Here are the boats that I use in the seaside marshes in Virginia: 13' canoe, 17' canoe, 12' jon, 14' wide jon, 17' folbot kayak (wood and canvas sea-going); 14' whaler, 17' Key West "bay boat' hull; 19' Carolina skiff J (perfectly flat). My friends use similar boats there. Same boats do well in Back Bay (Va) and the North Carolina sounds.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Maybe one of the crawdads with a trolling motor, not sure what the draft is on one of those.

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It maybe out of your price range but I would think the ideal boat for skinny water would be an air boat. I understand they will work in just a heavy dew.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A 12' to 14' jon boat will work fine and equip it wit a trolling motor or if you can find an old air cooled outboard .....it should get around just fine. I fished the marshes as a kid when I lived in NY. Just be aware of the tides so you can get back and watch out for bodies with cement shoes :eek: in the water.

The boat is light enough to man handle and has very little draft. We used to row a 12' jon boat...... jon boats are much more stable then a canoe or kayak

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would say a jon boat even a 10' u can get them new fairly cheap of cheaper used ...id go with a old air cooled i had a trolling on me and wasnt happy wayyyy to slowwww !!! just my 2 cents ....

UncleWillie

Captain

I don't mean to spoil the plan, but .....

The Meadowlands appear to once have been a Toxic Waste Disposal area.
Do you really want to fish there?

It appears to be an Environmental Wetlands Preserve; Are even allowed to take a boat in there?

Assuming you are allowed, what types of boats are the other people that you see in there using?
Follow the crowd.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Maybe one of the crawdads with a trolling motor, not sure what the draft is on one of those.
With a light load, it only draws about 6". But the trolling motor adds another 8 or 10".

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I see alot of these for the small lakes around here.
71817d1340841283-inflatable-pontoon-boat-redesign-sport_lt.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Wil. You might want to look in to a boat called a Gheenoe. They're a regional builder here in FL. People use them to do everything from hunt gators to fly fish on the flats. The only weigh about 150lbs and can be loaded on the top of you r car and/or in the bed of your truck. They're essentially hot rod, flat-backed canoes that can be modified in a million ways. They're like the mini cooper of boats and have similarly enthusiastic cult following. Check all the fun variations at gheenoe.com and/or cutomgheeoe.com. Here's a link to a few vids, but there are also countless others on youtube. There's essentially nothing they can't do. You're only limited by imagination and budget.

http://vimeo.com/47140292 (I want to be these guys when I grow up.....)

Gheenoe running airboat trails!!! - YouTube
Custom Gheenoe - YouTube
GHEENOE BOATS 15' 4" Adventure Boat! You are going to love this one. 321-267-4953 - YouTube

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

as far as jumping out and pushing, most likely you have a goo bottom. You have 3 inches of water but it's waist deep. So you want a shove pole with a duck bill, and a good sense about tides.