First time boat buyer.

jc650

Cadet
Im looking in to my first toon. I originally wanted a newer used one but only found one close to what I wanted and it recently sold. Im thinking now of ordering a new one which will obviously be set up just how I want it. My biggest question is this. Will the price be something that can be negotiated due to the boat being ordered or is it just what it is? Right now the dealer is offering an approx 10% boat show discount and including everything needed to make it water ready.

Its gonna be a 22' Harris with a 115 Mercury if that matters.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First time boat buyer.

Im looking in to my first toon. I originally wanted a newer used one but only found one close to what I wanted and it recently sold. Im thinking now of ordering a new one which will obviously be set up just how I want it. My biggest question is this. Will the price be something that can be negotiated due to the boat being ordered or is it just what it is? Right now the dealer is offering an approx 10% boat show discount and including everything needed to make it water ready.

Its gonna be a 22' Harris with a 115 Mercury if that matters.

The Harris is a good boat and you will be happy with it. The answer is yes they will usually negotiate as boat sales are still slow. Most people have to order their boat, so don't let that deter you from negotiating.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Plus one for lakegeorge, and great choice on the boat. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that configuration. IMO the boat and motor you've selected are big enough but not too big. Be sure to post lots of pics of the maiden voyage or we'll talk bad about you.:laugh: Welcome aboard.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't settle for only 10% off. Manufacturer's suggested retail price is somewhat a blackhole as some don't list such a number or the dealer will give some unrealistic inflated number. Go to Harris' website and see if you can build the boat; I believe Harris does show pricing (at least it's something). Compare their price to what the dealer is saying. Like the RV industry, markup on boats is somewhere between 20% and 30%. In the end it'll be the gas prices that will make you shake you head :) Boats only get about 4-5 mpg @ 1/2 throttle and 2-3 mpg @ WOT.

jc650

Cadet

I'm going to order it next week. I just did'nt want to go in there and try getting a lower price if it was'nt gonna be a realistic option. Ill let everyone know how I did after the order is placed.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

ASK, DEMAND, have a tantrum, all they can say is no. It all depends on the dealer, how hungry they are, and what's in stock. We bought one of the last of the '12's in stock, and with an entry level Tracker Party Barge there weren't a lot of 'options' available. This boat had both, vinyl floor and biggest engine. They knocked a buck or two off the MSRP, and over allowed the trade, adjusted the variables, and finagled the 'extra's (freight, DOC, etc.) When all was said and done, they were smiling, we were smiling, and we all left friends.... AND I GOT A BOAT!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Harris is a top line boat, and one of my favorite 4 brands. (I have a new Bennington.) I've noticed that Harris dealers are sworn not to every advertise any prices online. That makes it a little difficult to get a handle on what prices the boats are.

I would always suggest you contact the nearest dealership to you about ordering a boat. Spec. it out like you want it--no more options, no less options than you need for your current and future needs. Tell them you want their bottom line price, simply put, including a tandem axle trailer. Note that the dealer won't have any carrying costs or floorplanning charges on a special ordered boat.

If you're going to order a 115 hp motor, get a 4 stroke. And whatever you do, order lifting strakes on the hull for improved fuel mileage and 5 mph more speed. It really adds up to the boat being much more seaworthy for a little more price.

And while they're pricing the boat, find out how much more a tri hull will cost with 150 hp. If a Merc., go for the new 150 Fourstroke. I personally prefer the tried and true Yamaha F150--standard of the industry. And make sure the boat's spec'd out with the factory running all the electrical connections and cables for your brand of engine--to minimize the dealer's setup time.

Remember that dealers can acquire outboard engines thru the boat manufacturers substantially cheaper than they can get them from the factory direct--and can pass on part of the savings to you.

When you have all your local dealers' numbers, then go to the internet on Boattraders.com--looking for other Harris dealers that are willing to "deal" with you on price. Sometimes it pays a lot to drive a little. Sometimes it doesn't. Anyway it goes, only calling other Harris dealers will you get a relativity on the cost of that brand.

My last tip is to not get hung up on one brand. If you have a Bennington, Manitou, Premier, Cypress Cay or Tahoe/Avalon dealer close to you, they're very comparable to Harris--better in some regards, and lesser in others. Price them out also. They all have different price level boat lines, with the quality of upholstery being the biggest differences. And don't let emotions get involved in your search.

jc650

Cadet

I went today to get the quotes and the difference between the pontoon and the tritoon and the difference was $4500. Without any negotiating they were offering like 8% off. I wanted to bring the numbers home to discuss with the wife but had planned on calling back and asking for a price about 20% off. If I can get something like that off I can probably get the tri but if they dont I may end up with the 2 tubes at this point.

Cycleman07

Seaman

I went today to get the quotes and the difference between the pontoon and the tritoon and the difference was $4500. Without any negotiating they were offering like 8% off. I wanted to bring the numbers home to discuss with the wife but had planned on calling back and asking for a price about 20% off. If I can get something like that off I can probably get the tri but if they dont I may end up with the 2 tubes at this point.

One benefit (probably the only) to 2 tubes is the ability to swim under the boat on those hot summer days. My 6 year old calls it "the club" and allows him the ability to swim freely under there without so much exposure to the sun. My new South Bay is a 2 tube boat but still rated for a 150 which is what I put on it.

jc650

Cadet

Im waiting to hear back from them as I just made them an offer for 20% less than the sticker price. Not feeling confident though.

WaterDR

I paid around 25 to 30% below MSRP, so you never know.

jc650

Cadet

I paid around 25 to 30% below MSRP, so you never know.

As I suspected he responded like I was insane and said he couldnt get the boat for that price. Back to the drawing board I guess.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think my price worked out to be 15% off MSRP.

cwarends

Cadet

I bought a new Bennington and got 28% off of list.
The pricing question was asked on the Bennington forum and the replies ranged from 23% to 29% off list that most people that replied got from their dealer.
Benninton offers four model pricing levels and they are by far the biggest pontoon seller in the industry.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like the auto industry, some manufactures have a higher markup than others so a higher % off makes sense. What it boils down to is getting the boat you want at the lowest price and that means shpping around.

WaterDR

As I suspected he responded like I was insane and said he couldnt get the boat for that price. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Well, you either move-on, or you up your offer. Sometimes timing is everything. My price was lower because I bought my toon from a dealer who bought my toon from a dealer that when out of business. He got four of them like that....all the exact same...all sold the same day he bought them.

I have seen Berkshire 260E's (that's the big bar boat) sell for 45k and also sell for 35k last year (I just misssed the ter 35k one....it was a boat show demo). Again, timing is everything.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having had a couple of pontoon boats and one right now, my input is slightly different than you’re question so here it goes. Value wise, I would say to get one that you’re sure will do what you want it to do. If skiing is important now or in the future I would be certain that it will run fast enough. The lifting strakes will help on speed and turning for sure, but I would ask and research that model for the purpose you want. From the sounds of it I would think it’s going to fall short for skiing without lifting strakes and probably marginal with them but they would know better.

My boat is a 23 foot Aloha with an older Evinrude 140 HP. I have added a third pontoon with lifting strakes on all three tubes and I run a four blade prop from Power-Tech they helped me select for the application. The boat jumps out on plane real well and it will jerk the rope out of you’re hands but it tops out around 30 MPH which is a bit slow for my taste in skiing. I wish it would do about 35 MPH. I know my motor is older and it may be one where the HP is rated at the engine instead of the prop, but a fresh strong 150 HP would sound good to me. I know adding lifting strakes, a third pontoon and a motor in the 150 – 175 HP range will add $$ but I would be disappointed beyond the price if I hoped to ski from it and couldn’t.

Good luck with the purchase.

jc650

Cadet

Update: I just came to a price I can live with and placed my order for a 22 Harris cruiser lx with a 3rd toon, strakes, underskin and a Mercury 150! Super excited for this. Will put up some pics as soon as it comes in. Now I just need to work some overtime.

raptorhigh

Cadet

Update: I just came to a price I can live with and placed my order for a 22 Harris cruiser lx with a 3rd toon, strakes, underskin and a Mercury 150! Super excited for this. Will put up some pics as soon as it comes in. Now I just need to work some overtime.

On last weekend's cruise I noticed not one, but two of that exact setup. Both had the new 150 Merc 4-stroke, which has received great reviews. It's a sharp boat, and I doubt it will disappoint. I have a 2008 Harris Sunliner TriToon with a 150 verado, which probably isn't far off of what you're getting. The performance is quite good and very comfortable.

The Rooster

Ensign

Congratulations "jc", looking forward to those pics!!! Good luck !!!