Dry joint exhaust

dolphin1

Cadet
Can I convert my 98 5.7 mercruiser to dry-joint ? It also has closed cooling.What's involved in doing it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dry joint exhaust

Yes, it can be done. May take some replumbing. Depends a lot on how yours is set up as to what all it will take, is your closed cooling system OEM? Are the manifolds cooled with antifreeze now? I assume you have an engine mounted raw water pump?
What is the serial number of your engine, engine year and boat year aren't always the same.

dolphin1

Cadet

Hi Don,The serial is OK998862.It was repowered last year with a mich motors 5.7 vortec and installed a monitor closed cooling system which also cools the manifolds.The pump is crank mounted.

Don S

Post a few pictures of your system so we can see where the hoses from the heat exchanger and thermostat housing goes. Doesn't sound like anything is going to be OEM.

dolphin1

Cadet

Ive aready pulled the hge manifolds that I had on it, as far as hoses one goes to the bottom of the manifold,one to the top of the manifold and raw water from the exchanger to the riser.Is my existing y-pipe okay to use?

Attachments

• mfh5230spec_rev06.pdf
    171 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Well, your serial number doesn't come up as a good number, and those instructions don't show anything. Tstat housing or nothing. They might mean something if you have the parts in front of you.